Individual ACA Plan Vs. Medicare MAPD

Jul 6, 2016

Tags:
  1. csyjnapapa

csyjnapapa Expert

State:
    Ohio
    I met with a person who has a silver ACA plan with Anthem BCBS for himself his wife and two children. The interesting part his wife is on disability and has Medicare. She is using some expensive medications. Question: Would he be able to drop his plan and let her have a SEP for a MAPD plan and get a short term plan (6 months) to cover himself and his two children or he stuck with the plan he has until open enrollment. It is an individual plan not a company plan.

2. Tkruger

Tkruger Guru

State:
    Florida
    First question is how is she on both an ACA plan via HC.gov and Medicaid? Based on some prior experience billing should be really jacked up. What I mean is that the provider is submitting it to the carrier and they are denying it because the client has Medicaid....likewise if submitted to medicaid they would deny due to ACA Coverage.

Are you 100% positive that she is covered on the ACA Plan?

Tkruger, Jul 6, 2016
  3. somarco

somarco That Medicare Expert Guy

State:
    Georgia
    Put your reading glasses on, Ted. She has Medicare, not Medicaid.

somarco, Jul 6, 2016
  4. Tkruger

Tkruger Guru

State:
    Florida
    Then replace Medicaid with Medicare....question is still the same.

Tkruger, Jul 6, 2016
  5. FLM2

FLM2 Guru

I don't understand why the wife would be on an ACA plan when she has Medicare (any subsidy they get will have to be repaid if that is the case).

If the wife has just become Medicare eligible then she can enroll, I don't see any valid SEP in your description.

FLM2, Jul 6, 2016