Individual Cancer Policy Guidance

dwwarnock

As an agent who started out with Aflac I will always probably be loyal for their individual products sold in a group. Please share experience with solely individual products. What would you recommend?

As an agent who started out with Aflac I will always probably be loyal for their individual products sold in a group. Please share experience with solely individual products. What would you recommend?

Rouse is the go to guy for info on cancer insurance on the Forum. I'm sure he'll be along to comment as soon as he gets up from his nap.:SLEEP:

I've been writing quite a bit of Loyal American's plans. Typically easy to get issued, affordable, customizable, and you can write it to age 99. It all depends on the client's needs and budget though.

Not sure what you mean by "solely" individual products. Almost all the Cancer companies write their products on individual and payroll modes. You also don't say what state you are in and some companies are not in all states.

Washington National has a decent cancer product and they over a Money back/ Cash value feature on all their plans. The cancer Solutions Plan is a 10 year look back on prior cancer and the Critical Solutions / Active Care CI plans are 5 year look back products. They also have a good accident plan that has no occupational restrictions..

Central United is another I like. The hospital daily benefit is a little light but the plan is benefit rich with things many companies do not pay for: Transportation and lodging for non hospital confinement as well as when confined if treatment is received as little as 50 miles from the residence; Home Health no tied to hospital confinement days, tutor for children with cancer, physical and speech therapy and a Chemo/ Radiation Benefit that si based on actual charges and not limited to a daily amount.

United National has a product that looks good for the money but I don't trust the fact the policy says that it is a First Diagnosis Policy. They say it will pay for subsequent diagnosis but that isn't what the policy says.

----------

Oh, another thing is that Wash. Nat. and CUL do not require the spouse signature when applying for family coverage. This is a big deal if you are prospecting in small individual businesses like beauty shops, barber shops, mom and pop groceries, etc.

Not sure what you mean by "solely" individual products. Almost all the Cancer companies write their products on individual and payroll modes. You also don't say what state you are in and some companies are not in all states.

Washington National has a decent cancer product and they over a Money back/ Cash value feature on all their plans. The cancer Solutions Plan is a 10 year look back on prior cancer and the Critical Solutions / Active Care CI plans are 5 year look back products. They also have a good accident plan that has no occupational restrictions..

Central United is another I like. The hospital daily benefit is a little light but the plan is benefit rich with things many companies do not pay for: Transportation and lodging for non hospital confinement as well as when confined if treatment is received as little as 50 miles from the residence; Home Health no tied to hospital confinement days, tutor for children with cancer, physical and speech therapy and a Chemo/ Radiation Benefit that si based on actual charges and not limited to a daily amount.

United National has a product that looks good for the money but I don't trust the fact the policy says that it is a First Diagnosis Policy. They say it will pay for subsequent diagnosis but that isn't what the policy says.

----------

Oh, another thing is that Wash. Nat. and CUL do not require the spouse signature when applying for family coverage. This is a big deal if you are prospecting in small individual businesses like beauty shops, barber shops, mom and pop groceries, etc.

Thanks! I am licensed in GA,SC, and AL. Sorry, I should have given a little more info. Aflac used to only open groups (of 3 or more) with policies that, after a certain period, could be retained by the customer for life, regardless of keeping their job. The policy travels with the individual, so it is an individual policy offered in a group. Later, for competitive pricing in certain situations, Aflac bought a company that offered voluntary benefits sold as group only products that offered cheaper prices but if you leave the job... you can't take it with you, like a lot of group life products. You may know all this already. Their best products are the individual products sold in a group. Cancer has 5 yr look back and has awesome benefits. They offer super Accident and Critical Illness as well. The best thing of all is that I do not have to worry about them paying my clients on time! They do have products that are for sale to individuals only but they are not as favorable. I'm just trying to do the right thing for my customers that I can't offer Aflac to. I have been approached several times by individuals and am just looking for options. Going in, I have to know if the company is known for being a pain when it comes to paying claims or not. Any advice on that would be great. Have you had any claims paid with these companies?

Thanks! I am licensed in GA,SC, and AL. Sorry, I should have given a little more info. Aflac used to only open groups (of 3 or more) with policies that, after a certain period, could be retained by the customer for life, regardless of keeping their job. The policy travels with the individual, so it is an individual policy offered in a group. Later, for competitive pricing in certain situations, Aflac bought a company that offered voluntary benefits sold as group only products that offered cheaper prices but if you leave the job... you can't take it with you, like a lot of group life products. You may know all this already. Their best products are the individual products sold in a group. Cancer has 5 yr look back and has awesome benefits. They offer super Accident and Critical Illness as well. The best thing of all is that I do not have to worry about them paying my clients on time! They do have products that are for sale to individuals only but they are not as favorable. I'm just trying to do the right thing for my customers that I can't offer Aflac to. I have been approached several times by individuals and am just looking for options. Going in, I have to know if the company is known for being a pain when it comes to paying claims or not. Any advice on that would be great. Have you had any claims paid with these companies?

Don't know of anyone who had a claim with UNL. Know others that have had claims with Wash Nat with no problem. I have had clients with claims with CUL and again, no problems.

Last edited:
I don't know if I would write Central United. A while back they were part of a class action law suit for not paying their cancer claims like they were supposed to. They might have cleaned up their act but if you write someone and they do a web search of them that will pop up. Hard to explain to a client that you wrote them a company who has a history of not paying their claims. Just my opinion.

Back