Individual Disability Insurance

Hello Mathew,

This is a question that gets asked periodically. The real answer is "It depends".

Ask 10 agents and you may get 10 different answers. Are they all wrong or all right?

Each carrier has its sweet spot as to underwriting, terms and conditions, pricing, commissions, etc.

Group Plans, Individual Plans, GSI, and Excess plans all will do what they are supposed to within the scope of what they were designed to do.

Now I know none of this answers your question directly, but hopefully will help you think about the purpose and client first. I would suggest that you hook up with a good disability brokerage outlet who can advise and offer a multitude of selections depending upon your specific case.

TPetersEn is correct. It all depends on the client and their needs.

For blue collar I like Illinois Mutual & Mutual of Omaha. Blue collar group MoO.

White collar I like Guardian and Ameritas. For medical professionals those two are the way to go.
Met & Principle have decent policies as well for white collar.

For white collar group Guardian is great. Ameritas is good for list bill. MoO works the white collar group market some too.

Petersen Int is good for high limit risks. If you want more than $10k/m or $15k/m, especially for a physician, Petersen is a great choice. Or if you have a higher end BOE case or someone needing coverage until age 70.

Back