Individual Health Insurance Carriers in Texas

Earlier today I was on an Altrua webinar.
The presenter wouldn't talk about commissions. But you have to produce $3000 a month in premium and you're responsible for maintaining at least a 75% loss ratio from your customers or you are terminated for cause.

Terminating an agent's contract "for cause" simply for failing to maintain production requirements would give rise to a mega-million $$ cause of action against the company for, inter alia, defamation, interference with business relationships, etc.

The problem is simple. Once you have a contract termed "for cause," it's akin to being labeled as a sex offender for the rest of your life. :err:

You'd best have a damn good reason to term "for cause," such as fraud, theft, misrepresentation, etc. because a "for cause" termination ALWAYS gives rise to implications of impropriety.

Why do companies get away with this type of egregious conduct? Because agents let them!

Terminating an agent's contract "for cause" simply for failing to maintain production requirements would give rise to a mega-million $$ cause of action against the company for, inter alia, defamation, interference with business relationships, etc.

The problem is simple. Once you have a contract termed "for cause," it's akin to being labeled as a sex offender for the rest of your life. :err:

You'd best have a damn good reason to term "for cause," such as fraud, theft, misrepresentation, etc. because a "for cause" termination ALWAYS gives rise to implications of impropriety.

Why do companies get away with this type of egregious conduct? Because agents let them!

Except Altrua isn't an insurance company so you wouldn't have to answer that question yes. You don't even have to have a health insurance license to sell their products.

Any decent short term plan (individual) carriers in Texas? All that I have seen so far are obscure names except for United Health Care. Its as if the short term market was intentionally sabotaged here.

Earlier today I was on an Altrua webinar.
The presenter wouldn't talk about commissions. But you have to produce $3000 a month in premium and you're responsible for maintaining at least a 75% loss ratio from your customers or you are terminated for cause.

I can understand the production requirement, but there's no way I'm going to be held responsible for how much my customer submits in claims.

Hello :) I'm new to the forum and looking to expand my plan offerings in Texas since half of the carriers I've worked with have decided to pull out of the Market. Any suggestions? I'm Leary of certain companies like US Health Advisors. Looking into Southwest Service Life, and Altrua keeps calling me.. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

So who is this Company "Altrua?" Are they on the exchange? Can't be,...must be some kinda Alt company that offers ins., like United Health Advisors? WEIRD?

QUESTION: Who's offering ACA insurance in 2017 in Texas?

What about guaranteed-issue STM plans in Texas? I've only seen one or two of them. Maybe that's all there is, but I was hoping there would be some more to compare.

There is ONE particular eligibility question in the regular/"non-GI" STM plans that is so broad that I am not sure whether or not I pass/qualify. I am not sure of the scope of the question. Is it just regarding serious conditions and/or aforementioned medical conditions? Question directly below:
"Have you or has any person named had testing performed and has not received results, or been advised by a medical professional to have treatment, testing, or surgery that has not been performed? (The person(s) named will not be covered under the policy/certificate.)"

I'm on-board with STM is going to skyrocket IF they don't implement the 3 month rule

But what are you saying about the courts??

I'm talking about the DHS sabre-rattling regarding placing a 3 month limit on STM, an obvious overreach of their power. It's a similar situation to when Limited Medical plans were "banned" a year or two ago until the courts decided that the federal government cannot ban certain types of insurance from competing with their chosen favorite.

What about guaranteed-issue STM plans in Texas? I've only seen one or two of them. Maybe that's all there is, but I was hoping there would be some more to compare.

There is ONE particular eligibility question in the regular/"non-GI" STM plans that is so broad that I am not sure whether or not I pass/qualify. I am not sure of the scope of the question. Is it just regarding serious conditions and/or aforementioned medical conditions? Question directly below:
"Have you or has any person named had testing performed and has not received results, or been advised by a medical professional to have treatment, testing, or surgery that has not been performed? (The person(s) named will not be covered under the policy/certificate.)"

You're overthinking this.

1. Most plans are only asking about 12 months back.
2. Insurance law is contract law. The test for whether you lied or not would generally be based on the "Reasonable Person Test," which is exactly what it sounds like.

Last edited:
Hello :) I'm new to the forum and looking to expand my plan offerings in Texas since half of the carriers I've worked with have decided to pull out of the Market. Any suggestions? I'm Leary of certain companies like US Health Advisors. Looking into Southwest Service Life, and Altrua keeps calling me.. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I'd love to see if I could help you out in any way! Please email me at mpickner20 at gmail.

Back