Individual Health Insurance with Sleep Apnea

I have a client age 49, 6'0 245 lbs. He was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea 5 years ago and has used a CPAP since. His apnea is considered "mild" by his doctor (according to the client) and he also said the doctor would let him stop using the CPAP if he lost 20 lbs...which he is in the process of doing. I did not have a lot of trouble with his life case, but now he wants to buy health insurance (not my specialty). Are there any health companies who might take him? He would be ok with an exclusion of apnea related issues...just wants to be covered in case of a major event (heart attack, stroke, cancer, etc.)

Whether or not a waiver(exclusion) is applied will depend on what state your client resides in.
As an example, California is an all or nothing state. No waivers.
Post the zip code of your client and someone will probably be able to help.

What state are you in?

This gentleman would be declined with both UnitedHealthOne and HumanaOne, he has a ratable build plus sleep apnea.

Wow....the one agent who actually lives in Alabama....try blue cross.....cigna if they are in your state.....Assurant if he can afford it..

Aetna won't accept business from individual agents anymore...

If he could get down to 238 pounds and isn't on any BP/cholesterol meds, Humana would take him with a rider or at standard with a $6k or higher deductible. At 6'1" the max weight allowed would be 246 pounds, so he might want to get his height checked...not sure if Humana rounds off if you're 6 feet and half an inch or something. Don't know if they sell in AL or not though. Going to be a tough sell either way.

Back