Inexpensive Meds

emily2008

Hi,
I am about to lose my coverage with my employer and just need something to cover my son's medication. The prescription runs $120 per month but we have only been paying $10 under our health plan. My husband also takes medication, but his prescription is very affordable. What is available?

If you are losing coverage as an active employee, you can elect continuation coverage of the plan under COBRA and/or state mini-COBRA.

If you are currently already on continuation coverage and that is expiring, you have the right to purchase health insurance that is guaranteed-issue under HIPAA. You need to check with an agent in your state to find out how HIPAA and/or conversion options work.

lose my coverage with my employer and just need something to cover my son's medication

So . . . what you need is a savings account, not insurance. How are you going to handle a major illness or accident unless you purchase at least a cat plan?

Have you asked your doc to prescribe something less expensive? Many meds have therapeutic equivalents or generics that are equally effective and much less expensive.

It's amazing how consumer attitudes change once they have to pay for their own health care rather than passing it off to the carrier. They suddenly become better shoppers.

Last edited:
Take your COBRA - Sure it won't be cheap but neither are your families RX and associated health risks.

Problem solved.
Wow! You're good. In one line you solved the problem:yes:

Of course that's the right answer but so many people try to go uninsured. And they add to the statistic of 47 million or some other BS number.

Rick

COBRA is an expensive guaranteed product and may cost 10x as much as your monthly prescription bill; I don't think you're going to be interested. If you're struggling with $120 per month you have to look for a new job preferably with good group health benefits.

now you have to take into mind that not all group plans have COBRA options....

Back