Tcollins

Expert
Vermont
Hi All,

Our agency has been around for a decades, but we are moving into uncharted territory, now preparing to move into southern and coastal states. This is asking about the "Building Code Effectiveness Grading Schedule" (BCEGS).

Our agency is not currently selling in states that require us to put anything in for this field, however we will be in the future, which is why I'm reaching out on Insurance Forums ahead of time to see if anyone can provide some guidance.

I believe this BCEGS grade is important for areas that are more likely to experience hurricanes, flooding, tornadoes, etc. I'm wondering if anyone on here has experience with issuing homeowners policies where these building codes were at play, and if so what you had to do in order to verify the building code, any documentation/proof the insurance companies required, etc. Basically any information at all about the BCEGS would be appreciated. I want to make sure we are fully prepared for this new factor when quoting and issuing homeowners business in new territory.

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

PS - in case this information is at all helpful... our agency uses a comparative rater, and there is a field that asks for the Building Code Grade. The options are "Ungraded" (which we have always used, here in the Northeast), or 1, 2, 3... up to 10.

Thanks again everyone.

Back