Initial Election Period Question

jolivertexas

Expert
Here is the situation: Someone's Medicare effective date was 6/1/2013. She enrolled in a Part D prescription plan on 5/1/2013 for the 6/1/2013 start date.

The client is therefore still in her Initial election period. Can she switch to an MAPD plan now since she is still in her Initial Election Period and have the plan start for 8/1 or does she just have one chance?

Thanks,

Here is the situation: Someone's Medicare effective date was 6/1/2013. She enrolled in a Part D prescription plan on 5/1/2013 for the 6/1/2013 start date.

The client is therefore still in her Initial election period. Can she switch to an MAPD plan now since she is still in her Initial Election Period and have the plan start for 8/1 or does she just have one chance?

Thanks,

No. Initial election was used up by the PDP enrollment on 6/1 when it took effect. Barring any SEP she may qualify for, she's locked in for the rest of this year. Gotta wait till AEP.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

WCMason, so even if she is still in her IEP, she cannot do anything? Are you 100% about this?

IEP isn't always a certain time period, it ended as soon as CMS approved the enrollment in the PDP. You only get one enrollment during IEP.

WCMason is correct. I just encountered this situation.

JSM is correct that I am correct. I met a guy once who wanted an MAPD but he had already enrolled himself in a PDP and it taken effect, so his election was used up. Waited until the next AEP and then enrolled him.

JSM is correct that I am correct. I met a guy once who wanted an MAPD but he had already enrolled himself in a PDP and it taken effect, so his election was used up. Waited until the next AEP and then enrolled him.

I have a family member who painfully found out the answer to this thread. His wife had them covered through her Bank, so he only enrolled in the PDP. They her employer raised the rates on a spouse to a ridiculous amount, and it was too late...

...Come On, October 15th...

I have a family member who painfully found out the answer to this thread. His wife had them covered through her Bank, so he only enrolled in the PDP. They her employer raised the rates on a spouse to a ridiculous amount, and it was too late...

...Come On, October 15th...

Why wait until then? He can drop the group anytime to enroll into MAPD.

Back