Ins. Claim Against My Parked Car

DC852

Hello,

I received a knock on my door yesterday by a couple who claimed my husband and I hit their rear bumper and left scratches on their new car. We had been parked at home for over one hour, never having moved our vehicle. When we went to look at their car and ours, we couldn't see the so-called damage right away. The woman making the claim had to point out it out to us. We looked and could hardly see 3 small cosmetic scratches on her lower rear bumper. We asked how they assumed we had scratched their car as they were moved up about 2 feet from our front end. They stated our bumper was on hers, and when she pulled forward to inspect, she saw the scratches. My husband and I stated we did not hit her car when we parked, and asked to see photos or video of our car bumper to bumper on hers, which she said she couldn't produce. We then stated there was no way they could definitively determine that it was our car that scratched hers with no photos and not seeing our cars bumper to bumper, they continued to claim we hit them.

After not getting anywhere for some time, as we would not assume fault, we told them to swap insurance information and file a police report if they wanted and we would wait for the police to come out and file a report. The police showed up, and also asked them if they physically saw us hit their vehicle and they said no. When asked if they had photos, video or witnesses, they said no again. Agitated, the girls boyfriend said that if he said he had witnessed us hit their vehicle if that would make a difference, to which the police told him that he stated he neither witnessed it or had evidence so if he changed his story then he would be lying to police. In the end, we swapped insurance, filed the report and went our ways (although the vehicle owner was not happy and shouted obscenities at me).

I called my insurance company today to let them know what happened, and the other vehicle owner had already called to file a claim against me. I'm just wondering how this gets handled as no one was driving or in the vehicles at the time this purportedly happened. All I see online are accidents that occurred while driving and although I'm 100% positive we did not damage her car, I wonder if this will count against our policy, if our rates may go up, especially as our drivers records are clean and have no claims, tickets, citations, etc. I'm very confident they don't have a chance to win this claim, but since they are trying to get our insurance to pay for damages, I would like to know if this is a fairly open and shut case or if they could continually try to go after our insurance when/if they are denied.

You gave your statement to your insurance carrier and they have an obligation to defend you. You stated that you did not hit this parked car. when the other carrier contacts your carrier they should restate your version of events and deny fault hence the other person's carrier pays for the damage to their insured. Your carrier may ask to inspect both vehicles to see if there is any paint transfer. Whatever your carrier asks of you, respond. If the other carrier contacts you, give them the name and number of your carrier. Write down your statement so that, if asked, you can repeat the same story line by line

Latest posts

Back