Insurance agent accused of killing DOI investigator

InsuranceJosh

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
NC
Union County Man Charged With Murder; Police Still Searching For Woman's Body - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte
"CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- An Indian Trail man is charged with murder in connection to the disappearance of a Raleigh area woman.

Early Monday police arrested 40-year-old Michael Arthur Howell. Homicide Detective Sgt. Ricky Robbins said authorities are still searching for insurance investigator Sallie Rohrbach’s body.

Rohrbach, 44, of Angier, hasn't been heard from since Wednesday, the day she arrived in Charlotte. She was in Charlotte to investigate an administrative complaint filed against Howell at the Dillworth Insurance Agency. The North Carolina Department of Insurance, which employed Rohrbach, said it is not uncommon for such investigations to lead to criminal charges.

Authorities said they believe Rohrbach’s slaying was “connected to her professional duties.”

Eyewitness News is still working to find out Howell’s position at the insurance agency, located at 1437 South Boulevard, and the status of that agency.

Investigators said they decided to charge Howell because of evidence found at the insurance office, inside Howell’s car and inside Rohrbach’s car.

Investigators were at the office until 3:30 a.m. Monday collecting evidence. They also spent hours collecting evidence from Rohrback's state-owned Chevrolet Malibu, which was found Sunday morning at a Bojangles' restaurant at the corner of South Tryon Street and West Boulevard, less than a mile from the agency.

Shortly after the car was discovered, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department set up a mobile command center nearby and sent officers and Charlotte firefighters to neighborhoods to look for the missing woman.

"It's good to see firefighters and everyone else putting so much effort in searching for the lady," said neighbor John Sanders.

Ten investigators with the North Carolina Insurance Department, all of them licensed officers, also arrived in Charlotte late Sunday to help police search for Rohrbach.

Department spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson said Rohrbach was covering for another investigator when she went to Charlotte. She planned to return on Friday. Pearson said the department would have known if Rohrbach's plans had changed.

Rohrbach's husband, Tim, told The News & Observer of Raleigh that his wife sent him an e-mail Tuesday that said she was meeting friends the next evening in Charlotte. She didn't show up, he said."

Weird, I guess I didn't really know you can charge someone for murder if someone's only been missing a few days? I guess the clue was the Bojangles restaurant?

Weird, I guess I didn't really know you can charge someone for murder if someone's only been missing a few days? I guess the clue was the Bojangles restaurant?

Looks like he will qualify as an unscrupulous agent!

Why would you kill the investigator? Pretty stupid... it wouldn't make the investigation go away? She's only an investigator. Maybe he didn't do it??

It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds. Is this a local story for you? Can you keep us updated if it is?

Latest posts

Back