Insurance Agent in Florida Looking for Work

PickeralInsurance

Jan 2016 I recieved my P&C license, a few months later I went back to get my 215 and also passed that exam. I am now have my 220 and also my 215 license. After recieveing my license I got a job at Direct Auto. It wasnt the best job but I figured I could at least get my feet wet. After a few months of working for a Direct Auto, I was introduced to a young man that owned an insurance agency. I was told that he would train me and would teach me everything thing that I needed to know to become a great agent. I was so estatic to learn the industry that I did what most dumb folks to, jump at the opportunity. None of this happened he did not train me on anything other then downloading all the software I needed to use on my computer. No real training occured, also learned that he used other companies to write commercial and his homeowners policies that we would be using a 3rd party company. His reason was that he was to busy to write policies so another company would handle it for him, all we would have to do is submit the homeowners information with the 3rd party and they would do take care of everything else. It has been a nightmare, I have not been able to find a job because I have no experience and most agency dont want someone that has no experience.

I have been in sales all my life so selling isnt a promblem for me it was learning the industry and learning the things I needed to know as a new agent. Any advise? I am thinking of giving up this career and going into the medical field seems as if I can't get a break. No negative comments please!!!

The problem is....it's a big industry.

What do you want to do first? P@C or life? Let's say you decided on "life." Okay, Medicare? Retirement? Final Expense? Group?

Insurance covers so much that I would recommend narrowing your focus down and then becoming an expert in that field. Later on you can always add additional products.

I have to agree with Tampa, I would start off narrowing your focus. There are agencies that take new agents. It just depends on what you are trying to do and what commissions you're willing to take in the beginning.

What everyone is saying has merit. You cannot be a jack of all trades and master of none. If you look at the Forum Index, that's why it is divided into all these separate verticals, FE, Life, Med Supps, Health and Ancillary, etc. It's important you decide what you want to become an expert in.

However keep in mind one thing, and this is where a lot of new agents fall short. Create a business plan for yourself with both short and long term goals. I realize that things will change as you and your business grow but at least give yourself a path to follow. Also, and very important!! Make sure you have adequate funding and are capitalized for what you are trying to accomplish. Meaning, money for leads, advertising, etc. Most new agents think because they have a license, people will flock to buy insurance from them. Unfortunately that's why so many agents exit the business very quickly (that and not having adequate guidance and being trained properly so they are left hanging).

Most of us have made the same mistake you have made early in our careers. We believed in someone that promised us great things later to find out it was a bunch of BS. Don't get discouraged. This is a great business, align yourself with someone that has your best interest in mind. You have mastered the hard part and that is learning how to sell. Now you just need to fine tune your craft. Best of luck.

Jan 2016 I recieved my P&C license, a few months later I went back to get my 215 and also passed that exam. I am now have my 220 and also my 215 license. After recieveing my license I got a job at Direct Auto. It wasnt the best job but I figured I could at least get my feet wet. After a few months of working for a Direct Auto, I was introduced to a young man that owned an insurance agency. I was told that he would train me and would teach me everything thing that I needed to know to become a great agent. I was so estatic to learn the industry that I did what most dumb folks to, jump at the opportunity. None of this happened he did not train me on anything other then downloading all the software I needed to use on my computer. No real training occured, also learned that he used other companies to write commercial and his homeowners policies that we would be using a 3rd party company. His reason was that he was to busy to write policies so another company would handle it for him, all we would have to do is submit the homeowners information with the 3rd party and they would do take care of everything else. It has been a nightmare, I have not been able to find a job because I have no experience and most agency dont want someone that has no experience.

I have been in sales all my life so selling isnt a promblem for me it was learning the industry and learning the things I needed to know as a new agent. Any advise? I am thinking of giving up this career and going into the medical field seems as if I can't get a break. No negative comments please!!!

Pickeralinsurance I understand where u come from I have been in the industry for 2 years. There are companies out there that will give you the opportunity to grow your agency. I have learned so much as I grow my agency. Feel free to reach out.

This business has a way of chewing you up and spitting you on the ground pretty quickly.

The problem with this business, is we spend all this time and effort, getting licensed, finding an upline, getting contracts, and then realize we have nobody to see once the warm market runs dry.

Your first job needs to be focused on self-generating leads fast!

Personal lines P&C is generally the easiest lead to generate. People are generally open to letting you shop their home & auto for a better rate.

I would start there.

If you walk into any agency and plop down a stack of fresh leads ready to be quoted, you won't have any problem finding someone to hire you.

You can even sell them on a per lead basis.

The lead business has kept me afloat during the up and downs of the early years in this biz.

Pickeral: You have stated; "I have been in sales all my life so selling isn't a problem for me...was learning the industry and learning the things I needed to know as a new agent."

If you have strong sales skills and can demonstrate them, there are many agencies that are interested in talking to you about offering you a job.

As others have indicated here, decide what you want to sell first. You have shown the initiative to get the licenses. Don't sell yourself short on the experience aspect. You'll pick that up along the way, if you hook-up with a good agency that has a mentoring type of program for new producers. They are out there. You just need find them by marketing yourself effectively and identifying the best agency programs. Get creative with that process. Hit the bricks, Pal!
Best to you...

Back