Insurance Agent Recruiting

ASINS

I have a question about how insurance companies recruit agents. I recently went to a career fair and talked to some insurance companies, specifically Colonial Life and Farmers Insurance.

They scheduled interviews with me. I went to the interviews and they seemed more like sales pitches to me than real interviews. They are offering me the chance to become a 1099 sales agent. Based on their sales pitches it seems like they give a lot of support to new agents other than having to pay for the license.

I have a bachelors and masters that are both in engineering with no experience in Sales. I am curious as to why they would be willing to take on someone like me with absolutely no background in Sales. Are they desperate for people? Is this possibly a scam? I ask because I've noticed this pattern with many other sales positions.

Did you have a heartbeat? Can you fog a mirror?

You're hired!

Hire 'em in masses
Teach 'em in classes
Sell all their family and friends
And fire their ***es

An Employment Scam in the Financial Services Industry > HOME

Because people don't stay long, they keep recruiting. Many companies have recruiting bonuses, so it drives compensation that drives the business model. It's up to you to decide to stick it out and to EXECUTE the training they give you, and look for better training if and when the in-house training doesn't work out for you.

No it's not a scam. You are a bright educated person, sales is a touch game and it's not for everybody, good sales people are difficult to come by. Most of the positions are commission only, you don't sell you don't eat, what their risk?

Perhaps they have a serious shortage of personnel) Anyway you should try because you have nothing to lose. There are a variety of situations... and your situation is real too since you communicated and saw these employers.

Hire 'em in masses
Teach 'em in classes
Sell all their family and friends
And fire their ***es

An Employment Scam in the Financial Services Industry > HOME[/url]

Because people don't stay long, they keep recruiting. Many companies have recruiting bonuses, so it drives compensation that drives the business model. It's up to you to decide to stick it out and to EXECUTE the training they give you, and look for better training if and when the in-house training doesn't work out for you.

Hahaha, wow. Insurance/Finance industries constantly need those new friends & family members business from the new meat that comes in. smh, lol

When you run your own small insurance agency and start to get too busy to call on all the referrals you’re getting, it may be time to recruit new agents. You’ll most likely be working closely with them, so look for men and women you like and who bring a positive attitude to their work. Ideally, they’ll already have an insurance license, but you’ll still need to spend time training them in your style and in the product lines you carry. To recoup the time you've invested, recruit folks who will stick with you and your company.

I have a question about how insurance companies recruit agents. I recently went to a career fair and talked to some insurance companies, specifically Colonial Life and Farmers Insurance.

They scheduled interviews with me. I went to the interviews and they seemed more like sales pitches to me than real interviews. They are offering me the chance to become a 1099 sales agent. Based on their sales pitches it seems like they give a lot of support to new agents other than having to pay for the license.

I have a bachelors and masters that are both in engineering with no experience in Sales. I am curious as to why they would be willing to take on someone like me with absolutely no background in Sales. Are they desperate for people? Is this possibly a scam? I ask because I've noticed this pattern with many other sales positions.

The issue with them is the horrible contracts they give you. I look for folks with your background because it proves a few things to me... you work hard enough to finish what you started... in engineering, specifically, you obviously understand systems. However, to be brutally honest, I decide if I will hire someone based on their personality. Anyone can learn to "sell", but I want someone quick on their feet, someone who won't give up when things get tough, and more importantly, someone I only need to train once... not over and over again on the same topics! ;)

Back