Insurance Appt Setter for 3 Years..wanting to Be an AGENT! HELP!

ForeverAngela

Expert
I have over 3 years in appointment setting for insurance agents, real estate investors,etc and am currently a Lead Generator for a major Car Dealership. I want to become a Agent. I am great on the phones, and believe I would do very well. My problem I am wondering about is I am currently awaiting a Ch 7 Bankruptcy Discharge,and have 2 Driving While License suspended charges on my background. Will this keep me from being hired with any companies? What is the best way to get into this business? I have interviewd with AGLA and completed their screening and awaiting my Background and credit check. The manager there says that Bankruptcy is not an issue..is this true? Can anyone give me some good advice on getting started as an Agent?:biggrin:

Just curious, but what about the insurance industry fascinates you?

Yes, it's a good business but a tough one. You may be better off waiting until you have a little more money in your pocket and better credit.

My experience and ability and motivation and the insurance/healthcare industry interests me.My credit and money in my pocket does not effect my ability to be a good agent.

Just for clarity, because a lot of people tend to overlook this, money in your pocket does tend to affect your ability to be a successful agent.

It's not the only thing that makes or breaks an agent, but it is tough to get started if you can't afford to do some marketing and survive till money starts coming in on a regular basis.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, just to let you know anyone who thinks or says you can do this with no money getting started probably hasn't done it, or they had access to some sort of other support system for a while.

Dan

Just for clarity, because a lot of people tend to overlook this, money in your pocket does tend to affect your ability to be a successful agent.

It's not the only thing that makes or breaks an agent, but it is tough to get started if you can't afford to do some marketing and survive till money starts coming in on a regular basis.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, just to let you know anyone who thinks or says you can do this with no money getting started probably hasn't done it, or they had access to some sort of other support system for a while.

Dan

But I never said I had no money to put toward it. I do have some saved and am willing.

ForeverAngela, I was broke when I started in the business over 10 years ago. In fact I was more than broke. No money, a wife and 2 kids to feed....it was miserable to say the least.

Yes, it can be done. Yes there are companies that will hire you and yes you don't need money to get started.

As for the BK, I think AGLA is a W2 position? I know there are laws that prohibit companies from using that as the SOLE reason for non hire. There is no such luxury in the 1099 world...straight denial until the discharge is in, but then you will be able to get contracted.

Best advice, is to wait until the discharge is in, then go full steam ahead. Its a fantastic business to be in....I would not be doing anything else.

Good luck.

Thanks! Well I already applied to AGLA and they are processing my background an credit so do you think they will Deny? What ways should I proceed after my discharge?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I also interviewed with Monumental and they are interested.

Last edited:
Thanks! Well I already applied to AGLA and they are processing my background an credit so do you think they will Deny? What ways should I proceed after my discharge?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I also interviewed with Monumental and they are interested.

There is a good possibility you'd be declined to the bankruptcy. Once its discharged you'll be good to go.

Back