Insurance cancelled, what are my options

LauraSimp

I missed a payment on my car insurance, and they cancelled my policy, now they want a whole years worth of payments to give me a new policy which I can't afford. What are my options? Won't some places not give me insurance due to what happened? I'm in Michigan.
Thank you for any advice, I don't know what to do but I can't drive until I have insurance again and have to go to work.

Try a few independent agents who might represent non-standard insurance companies. You can still get monthly payments but you'll pay a lot more for insurance for a while.

You might be able to find a premium finance company in Michigan that can help you with a payment plan

Thanks. Like what are examples of an independent agent? Do you mean like doing one of those online ones you see commercials for all the time on TV like Geico and The General as non-standard? Sorry if those are stupid questions.

Google independent insurance agent for your city or town. A list of insurance agencies with local offices will come up. Take your previous insurance paperwork and your car information and pay a visit to a few and see who can help you get insurance.

Pick ones that are close to your home or on a convenient bus route or have a friend drive you because you'd better not be driving without insurance. It's inevitable that you'll get caught and then the nightmare really starts.

Not sure about the rules in Michigan, but usually you can get a new policy within 30 days without it impacting your rates substantially.

You will need to go to a different company to get a new policy. Call around, get some quotes, find an agent that seems like a good fit, let them earn their keep by finding you a policy that works with your budget and gives you the coverage you need.

Dan

Back