Insurance Careers Month Participation?

I have some thing on Facebook, Craigslist and a small banner in the office.

Its kind of a hard sell around here for me to recruit anyone. As soon as you say things like sales, quotas, commissions, cost of licensing the applicants run for the door. I literally had a guy say he forgot some thing in his car and he half ran from my office got in the car and floored it out the parking lot. I hired several people who never showed up the next day to start and never returned my calls.

I have three grown kids and none of them have any interest in learning the business. My 21 year old said insurance is boring and sold by old people in suits.

My 21 year old said insurance is boring and sold by old people in suits.

:D ^^^ that's funny right there!

I'm definitely boring, and I'm getting old .... but in the past 6 years, I've never sold a policy wearing a suit... but I sell policies all the time wearing pajamas and sweats in cold months, and shorts and tee shirts in warm months.

if a customer came into my office and I was wearing a suit, they would ask "who died?"

I have four kids, two married, two engaged. Not a one of them or their spouses want anything to do with insurance. At least, not today. Guess I brought home too much of the office thru the years.

I have three grown kids and none of them have any interest in learning the business. My 21 year old said insurance is boring and sold by old people in suits.

Yeah, that's the stereotype the industry battles alright. Seems hard to get millennials to understand how entrepreneurial it can be and how much freedom you have and how much money you can make - especially if you have a family member willing to mentor you.

See so many posts from newbies on here looking for guidance that I bet would LOVE to have a family member to show them the way. (Although many of them might be mid-life career-changers instead of millennials)

Luckily, I fell into this industry at a young enough age. I'm 30 & make way more then I should for somebody who sells home & auto insurance. Amazingly, my only friend that earns more by their own right is a surgeon.

But, technically he's 1 year older then me. In addition, he deals with life/death situations every single day & I sit on my fat @$$ writing home & auto from home. As my renewals continue to grow, I will catch him in about 5 years. Considering the fact he's made basically nothing for 10 years of schooling...I'm actually ahead. But in reality, it's inexcusable that an *** who sells home/auto insurance can make more then most physicians & catch up to top paid physicians by at 36.

P&C Insurance agency ownership is amazing from an income standpoint.

I have some thing on Facebook, Craigslist and a small banner in the office.

Its kind of a hard sell around here for me to recruit anyone. As soon as you say things like sales, quotas, commissions, cost of licensing the applicants run for the door. I literally had a guy say he forgot some thing in his car and he half ran from my office got in the car and floored it out the parking lot. I hired several people who never showed up the next day to start and never returned my calls.

I have three grown kids and none of them have any interest in learning the business. My 21 year old said insurance is boring and sold by old people in suits

Heather I seem to be in an area in where there are many agencies where this is not the case. Most of the ia agencies near me are 2nd and some even 3rd and now 4th generation's. How does someone new break into the IA side in an area where there are local established family agencies in place where there are multiple family members working in the agency? I have been able to show people savings on policies of 5-10% (apples to apples comp's) and they just tell me , i'm sorry I been with this guy/gal or this agency for 15 - 20 years. Or they say my father always had the BOP with this agency and I took it over from him, it's not a big enough savings to switch. The same happens on the personal lines. It's a couple hundred bucks lower usually with the same coverage. The prospect says it's not enough to switch. I had one contractor tell me , you the new kid on the block , if you can save me 50% , i'll move otherwise get lost!!!

I'm 26 and started in captive L&H insurance a few years back (almost got out of the biz for the disdain I have for captives). On a whim, I got the opportunity to work at an independent agency that was willing to subsidize me a living wage for 2-3 years. I blew past that mark and now I'm just starting to get a very comfortable living for someone my age, on commission.

I think kids these days don't like "sales" which is what is tied to insurance. I also think after 2008 and after what we've been continually hearing from the political left, anything financial related puts a bad taste in most kids/young adults mouth. I also think it's because even the kids that do want to get into finance, spend $40K+ at University and just cannot fathom starting at $0 since the student loan bills don't pay themselves, and they believe that their education "deserves" them $35-50K from the get go (despite ignoring the fact that insurance there is UNLIMITED income!)

Last edited:
I'm 28, started the agency when I was almost 26. I only knew about insurance because my neighbors growing up were big players and still are in the habitation P&C market. They make a lot of dough and had a lot more freedom then my family. It was a no brainer what I was going to do when I got out of college

Back