Insurance Discount for Gated Communities?

Discussion in 'P&C Insurance Forum' started by IEG12, Mar 1, 2012.

1. IEG12

IEG12 Member

State:

Hi, what is your experience with insurance discounts and gated communities? Specifically:

- Are home insurance losses less in a gated community?
    - What is the range of discount (%) for gated communities and how common is the discount?
    - Any other information about them?

I appreciate the help!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

an agent isnt going to know the loss ratio in a gated community....

Range of discount will vary by company and by type of alarm....

Alarm system can be good????

3. joshb

joshb Well-Known Member

State:
    Florida
    -Yes losses are less likely. Typically homeowners take more pride in their homes in gated communities (if they don't HOA is on their back). Also less Theft losses.

-In my area discounts range from 5-20% depending on the carrier, and if the community is single entry (no gate), Gated with a passcode box, and gated with a security guard.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

well, you know, common sesne should tell you that, if an insurance company is offering a discount, its because it has less of a claim happening.....

5. IEG12

IEG12 Member

State:

Joshb, thanks for the help. I'm just trying to get a general idea how important this aspect is. Appreciate your comment!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

apparetly, I wasnt helpful, putz

7. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member

State:

Some carriers have allowed for discounts it is between 5-10% . Guard gated seems to have the higher discount. Yes there is a marked drop in property claims in gated communites as long as they activly manage changing gate codes. A round 15% were in gated community mostly upscale, that has slowed due to assoication needing to maintain gates. However some area were built with the intention of going gated at a later date and they are starting to do that it is a cheap alturnative, to raising property values. In our case that 5-10 % is off setting 30-40 % rate increase.

8. nwaite

nwaite Member

State:
    Nebraska
    In Florida the companies typically offer between 10-15% discount depending on the level of security.

Usually the options are None, Single Entry / Passkey Gate, or Guarded Gate. With 15% going to the guarded gate.

9. Turz

Turz Well-Known Member

State:

Not a discount in my current state. The last two gated communities I had were 6,000 acres of nightmare (fires, hail, and trees, oh my!) and the other was 500 acres of murder and drugs.