Insurance Employment Quagmire...please Help

Hello, and thanks for the forum...

I am a NJ resident, licensed in P&C, with non-res licenses in PA and VA.

My continuing ed is caught up for now, and I am at a crossroads as to what I should do with my insurance career.

I used to work for an independent agency as a 1099. I had two good years there, selling mainly business insurance for small commercial accounts with incidental personal lines.

I was really just beginning to cut my teeth there when an opportunity in another (somewhat related field) came about. I jumped ship with the independent agency to explore this other career...which has kind of not worked out.

I am currently doing telemarketing for a totally unrelated field (home services) while my insurance networks are slowly drying up. While I am doing quite well in my telesales position, I am not altogether happy there. I cannot go back to the old agency as there was a commission dispute after I left which soured the relationship.

I have my resume and experience on Monster and also P&CInsurancejobs.com but haven't gotten much response other than what I consider spam-like solicitations from life companies I've never heard of.

I was recently approached by a Farmer's recruiter who is trying to get me to sign their reserve contract. I have a follow up meeting with the Farmer's rep this upcoming Friday. I have my reservations about the Farmer's opportunity, but at least it would allow me to get back into the P&C world.

I have considered going to work for a direct writer's agency (AllState, State Farm, etc.), but I really want to get back into Commercial Lines, not personal lines.

I am 36 and single. I have the flexibility of being able to relocate from the NJ area if the right opportunity came up.

If anyone has any suggestions about where to best look for a commercial lines position that would feature a reasonable salary + commission that would be great. I would even consider a non-production position with a larger commercial lines carrier or agency just to get back in the P&C game.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Are you still looking, or did you sign the Farmer's contract? I'd be interested in speaking with you about an opening at my agency

Back