Insurance for Couriers

KJB

I am considering becoming a courier of radioactive pharmaceuticals (the stuff a patient might be injected with before an imaging procedure such as an MRI). I would be using my own car as an independent contractor and I am all but certain that my personal car insurance would not cover me for this business activity.

So my question is, how much in very round dollars (within say $50 a month) would it cost me to buy auto liability coverage for this activity that would meet minimum state requirements?

A few details that might be relevant:

State: NM
Business miles to be driven per year: 50,000 to 100,000
I am a male in my late 50's, good health, clean driving record
Car: 2011 Toyota Corolla

I am in the very preliminary stage of evaluating this business opportunity, so I am not looking for a quote, just some ballpark figure so I will know if I want to investigate further.

Thanks for your help.

I would check with your current agent/carrier. I know nothing about NM but some carriers will be able to rate you as "business" if it is your personal vehicle. You would definitely want to inform them of the increase in annual mileage.

Most personal lines carriers will allow incidental business use for white collar professionals, but will specifically exclude any kind of delivery. Check with your agent, yes, but this will likely be a surplus lines case.

Latest posts

Back