Insurance for Diabetic

vlakvark

My husband is 48 and Insulin Dependant - any idea where and if we can find affordable term or life insurance for him - he is VERY healthy - even if he has diabetes - he is well controlled.

I'd like to hear the answer to that as well. If there is a company like that it would be beneficial for all of us to know.

Sti,

Your saying US Financial will take an insulin dependant diabetic on inexpensive term insurance? What does he have to do to qualify?

dvd493 said:
Sti,

Your saying US Financial will take an insulin dependant diabetic on inexpensive term insurance? What does he have to do to qualify?

US Financial has been very aggressive in their underwriting over the years and was a good source for cases such as insulin dependent diabetics. However, they recently decided their new minimum face amount would be $250k. This may or may not be an issue for some.

Up until they were merged with West Coast Life this year, Empire General was also a good carrier to look at for sub standard cases. I've had several insulin dependent diabetics issued with Empire General. I haven't attempted it with West Coast yet so I don't know what to expect in the underwriting with them on impaired risk cases. I have generally used Banner and West coast for the healthy folks.

sman,

Are you saying that Empire General has an inexpensive term policy for an insulin dependant diabetic?

dvd493 said:
sman,

Are you saying that Empire General has an inexpensive term policy for an insulin dependant diabetic?

"Inexpensive" is a relative term. But their term coverage was always fairly inexpensive. Generally near the top of the list. Remember, they have merged with West Coast Life and no longer issue under the Empire General name.

I agree that inexpensive is very relative. If she priced the market and got quoted a few table c or d's, then US financial will be pretty competitive. It really depends on a few major factors. Firstly, is it adult onset or childhood? Adult onset, even with insulin dependency, is much better than childhood diabetes, with regard to underwriting. Also, it very often goes with bp/cholesterol issues, and the combination could make things worse off.

Prudential and Midland may be cheaper than USF, if there are no other issues.

What is your husband's height/weight, does he take any other medications, and does he have any family history of heart disease or cancer? Also, are you in NY or not?

Melmunch,

Are you saying that Midland issues to insulin dependatn diabetics?

Yes, with Insulin, and good control (Fasting blood sugar of about 130), they will issue a policy. I have a few cases on the books where they received a table b, which comes out quite a bit cheaper than US financial. It really depends on when it set in, later is better, and having an otherwise clean medical and family history.

Back