Insurance Got Terminated - PLEASE HELP!

Ann, of note, I have found it virtually impossible to find a college with a viable student health plan this year, at least in MO where my niece is attending. Wondering if things are different in AZ these days?

Thanks for the heads-up. I looked last year, and they were great plans. Haven't looked this year, but I had better find out before the "Whatever am I going to do" questions start.

Thanks for the heads-up. I looked last year, and they were great plans. Haven't looked this year, but I had better find out before the "Whatever am I going to do" questions start.
Sure thing. Hopefully things are better in AZ. Truly hard to imagine Penal with zippo subsidy plans.

Hey, guys - sorry it's been so long since I've posted an update. I've been dealing with some other stuff, so I haven't had a lot of free time lately.

Anyway, I received a bill from UPMC last month for around $2100 (probably my MRI from when I had coverage). I didn't pay it, so I got a 2nd notice this week. Not sure what to do about the bill, but my leg continues to bother me.

I filed my complaint with the DOI last month, so I was waiting to hear how that turned out. My complaint was closed without comment on Friday, so I'll call in on Monday to see what happened. I'm guessing it was disregarded/denied.

So... I've already exhausted the internal review and DOI review process. I read that I have an external review option via HHS. Is that an option? Actually, do I have ANY options left, aside from mailing letters to everyone involved in government?

If you are a good Christian, you can quickly join a low cost Christian share plan or, if not following Biblical principles and/or self employed, possibly a MEC plan to avoid penalties....

I was told by my state's DOI that there are no non-marketplace plans that will allow me to avoid penalties. The rep went on to say that I'll get little (if any) coverage in the event that I actually get hurt.

I just read this. You said you have a job. Does your employer provide group health insurance? Do you have a spouse with an employer group plan? If it is a small employer (or if you are the business owner), and the business doesn't have health insurance now, you could start a group plan, effective at the first of the next month, which has no waiting period for pre-existing conditions.

Group plans usually cost about the same as 2016 premiums for your individual plan, and usually have better coverage. Group plans come with participation requirements, but they are not that hard to meet. They come with employer contribution requirements but the tax breaks make up for it.

Also, check out your local universities. Most large colleges and universities have a health plan that is unbelievably affordable, and almost always has no waiting period for pre-existing conditions.

Finally, use a local agent!!! If you want someone to fight on your behalf, you need a professional. An agent's expertise is worth it, and it is free to you (all commissions are built into your premium whether you use an agent or not.)

1. I'm not married, and my employer only offers health plan enrollment in November (for coverage beginning January).

2. I checked a couple university plans in my state, and they're for students only. I'm not sure how I can get around that.

3. I'd LOVE to talk to an agent in my state, if one existed. I literally called 10 multi-insurance agencies and was told that either no one worked in health insurance or that they could only help me sign up for a marketplace plan.

Do you have a spouse? If so, get divorced ASAP. Don't have a spouse? Get one, ASAP.
Or, adopt a needy kid ASAP.
Want a change of scenery? Move ... to a different service area.
Worst case: open enrollment starts in a few months. Jan 1 start date coverage will be available, but for heaven's sake, don't let premiums lapse (you made it sound as if loss of coverage was someone else's fault, but that seems far from conclusive).

I was thinking about renting a room in a different state, changing my address there, and registering for insurance in that state. The nearest state is only a 30 minute drive away. Would that work?

My loss of coverage was because I only paid a partial premium for one month, when I thought I had paid in full. I'm sure CMS considers paying ~$100 37 days late my fault, or else someone would be helping me fix this. Either way, it's a huge load of crap.

Is there any way I can post in my thread without a 4-day moderator review waiting period?? It seems like my last two update posts never got approved.

Is there any way I can post in my thread without a 4-day moderator review waiting period?? It seems like my last two update posts never got approved.

No clue, but I reported your post, just to make sure someone saw it. I would like to know the outcome....

Write:
www.senate.gov/senators/contact

And dont be afraid to write them about your situation

All details

If you didnt show your face at DOI then consider doing it. They are the regulatory body and they can kick the insurer in the butt if it's warranted.. but you need to show up maybe more than once.. and you better have all your evidence with you

No clue, but I reported your post, just to make sure someone saw it. I would like to know the outcome....

Thanks! Whatever you did worked, because my 2 posts just showed up (dated 9/17).

----------

If you didnt show your face at DOI then consider doing it. They are the regulatory body and they can kick the insurer in the butt if it's warranted.. but you need to show up maybe more than once.. and you better have all your evidence with you

I spoke to my DOI caseworker on the phone yesterday. He seemed sympathetic to my issue, but he said that since no laws were broken, his department was unable to do anything. He said that at this point it's a dispute between the insurance company and I. He recommended contacting a lawyer who specializes in health care and discussing my issue. However, he also advised that the cost of litigation may be higher than just paying the bill/fine (currently ~$4200 for me).

So, I'm stuck again. Aside from sending letters to government, any advice?

I can't help you on the overall situation... but since it sounds like you technically don't have coverage then you would be considered a self-pay. As a self pay you can negotiate the bill cost down with the provider. They typically cut between 30-50% off what is owed for self pays. If in the end you have to end up paying them, maybe at least you can get the amount reduced.

Back