Insurance on ex wife

Deepsea

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I used to be an agent.
When I was an agent I purchased life insurance on myself and my wife. Most of the policies I was the owner on initially. While we were still married I became the owner of ALL the polices.

We just got legally divorced and as part of the marital settlement agreement I retained ownership of ALLthe policies. I know the prudent thing to do is to file new beneficiary forms for all the insurance policies on my ex wife.

My only question is on the new beneficiary form should I put in “RELATIONSHIP TO INSURED”
Ex-wife ?
Or
Ex-spouse ?

I’m thinking Ex-wife, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks !

Yes. In the state of Florida just to make sure there is absolutely no confusion.......

If there is ever a death claim it makes A TON of sense not to encounter any problem because when the policy was written she was my wife and now she is my ex wife and even though it’s in the marital settlement agreement and I am still the owner........I want to cover my bases if in the next 10....20.....or 30 years my ex wife predeces me.

I am already the beneficiary and the owner. Only thing different now is my relationship to the insured. I am going to fill out a new beneficiary form reflecting My New relationship to the insured, that of ex spouse .
The ONLY question I have is to my relationship to the insured on the NEW beneficiary form reflecting my NEW relationship as that of ex husband, so she would be my ex spouse or ex wife.

I guess the clearest would be “EX-WIFE” on the new beneficiary form that I will submit as I am the owner and beneficiary already.

I’m the Previous Husband. Now that my wife and I are divorced I AM the
The question is the relationship of YOU to the insured.

If you are naming yourself as beneficiary on her policy are YOU the ex-wife of your ex-wife?

No?

I think I’m an *** here.
Relationship to insured YOU ARE right I’m the EX-HUSBAND.....

So I guess EX-HUSBAND is clearer than EX SPOUSE ? However I got confused there. I am her EX-HUSBAND, so on the beneficiary form “Relationship to insured ?”

Answer: EX-HUSBAND

I guess ex husband is clearer than ex spouse if I can think !

Thanks for the input adjusterjack

Ex-wife, ex-spouse is semantics, it makes no difference here.

As to filing new beneficiary forms, that is a wise move. Some states automatically remove an ex-spouse once the divorce is final, I'm not aware of any rule in Florida. If so, then you will need to be named again as beneficiary otherwise it will be her estate. Even if Florida does not have a rule and the beneficiary designation survived the divorce, this firmly establishes that the owner, you, wanted you to be the beneficiary. It could help stave off any challenges at her death by heirs to her estate.

What the gentleman from Tennessee said.

At least in the state of California and one other I do not remember you will not be paid if still listed as husband. Benefit will go to the contingent beneficiary

Ex-husband or ex-spouse

Back