Insurance Pro Shop

your numbers

John,

How long did it take working in the insurance business to post these large numbers weekly?? As a newbie to the insurance industry, I just wonder what I can realistically expect.

I'd like to ramp up much more quickly in 2007.

The best thing about this business is you could post those numbers just as soon as you're well trained on the plans and have marketing in place. When I was with UGA (Mega Life) I won Quick Start for the country with $210,000 in three months. Other agents had been there for years and didn't hit that in a year.

Also suffice to say there's agents who have been in the biz with much less time than me and are running circles around me. There are Assurant agents doing $40,000 in a week which is over $8,000. There are GAs doing five times my production. I met a guy at the Time Crown Conference who wrote over a million just in personal business. That's over $300,000 a year and he got into the biz after me.

Time is not the determining factor for production. It's drive.

Marketing

Ok, one more question for you John - you mention having marketing in place - what things did you do in the beginning? When you won the quickstart in your first year, did they supply you with leads, or did you just cold call?

I'd be interested in any suggestions/marketing plans that have served you well & proved most effective.

Thanks.

john_petrowski said:
I did B to B.

You relied on walk & talk, rather than the Monday morning leads that were handed out? That was somewhat discouraged in the outfits I was with.

I am new here, and an absolute newbie to health insurance. I am having a terrible time trying to navigate this business. Those who want to help me so far, I don't trust. So, needless to say, I have spend a lot of time here since I found you. (By the way, thank you!!)

As for which sales method to uses: I was a broker with Merrill Lynch for 4 years, and I have owned my own lending business for 16 years. After 20 years of commission sales, I am convinced that it is not important which method you chose, just do it.

Some people do well with seminars, ... some with networking, ... some with cold calling, ... and some with going door-to-door. You must make a plan and work that plan, which ever method you decide on.

The common thing, with all of these methods: New people do not believe that THEY will take that long to be successful. Once they realize that it is happening to them too, they quit! :?

John, I have a lot of questions, I hope you don't mind. :oops:

I was wondering, on the commissions: ...how much of that is renewals hitting your books? ...how many years did it take you to build that business? ...or, was this simply finding a good product that was needed and then going business-to-business?

When you go business-to-business, ...how many visits (or contacts) did it take before you got the business? (on an average) ... were you referred? ...do you have a local recognized expertise? (like in a small community, or social circle, networking situation) ...do you think the primary reason that you are making the sale is the product - or is it the relationship and trust with you?

Thank you,

Linda

I quite honestly haven't broken down my commission statements into exactly what I'm earning in renewals. When I get my statements it's like 4 huge envelopes with tons of reports. I actually just stick them in a file cabinet.

And the answers to your questions are too much to post. You can call me if you want today - 410-874-7241.

Back