Insurance Technology: Where can it help?

TylerP

Expert
Hey guys,

I've frequented these forums for sometime now, and prior to a recent career change, I had sold life/health and property/casualty insurance for the 6 years prior (state farm sales rep and independent insurance agency owner after that). I'm well aware of the expertise a lot of you bring, and I know the variances in experience and age is all over the chart. That is why this is a perfect place to get a diversified opinion on what the industry needs, as far as technology goes.

As a prior agent-owner, I understand the work-flow situation most of us deal with, and I understand the ups and downs a lot of us have in the industry. But, I know some people may have different problems than myself, or may open my eyes to problems I never knew existed.

To summarize this without too much ranting, I am curious as to where you think technology could possibly come into play with regards to making your day easier. Whether it be quoting problems, document managing problems, or even a simple business automation that would make your job more accessible and fluid, I would love to hear about it.

I know AMS do a ton now, but if there is anything that may not fit inside that box, feel free to let me know!

About me? I am an agent turned web developer, and I am looking to build web applications that are tailored towards Insurance agents.

Again, thanks for hearing me out and any, and all suggestions are welcomed!

Big gap in the market for wholesalers/MGA MGU. Most systems are catered for retail agents. They are packed with things to help generate forms/certificates which a wholesaler does not need ( we recieve completed forms from our retailers)

We recently migrated to a system that would allow our retailers to log into a portal and get real time info on their submissions and their status. Not many options out there that provide a portal and maybe capacity to make cc payments online?

Hey guys,

I've frequented these forums for sometime now, and prior to a recent career change, I had sold life/health and property/casualty insurance for the 6 years prior (state farm sales rep and independent insurance agency owner after that). I'm well aware of the expertise a lot of you bring, and I know the variances in experience and age is all over the chart. That is why this is a perfect place to get a diversified opinion on what the industry needs, as far as technology goes.

As a prior agent-owner, I understand the work-flow situation most of us deal with, and I understand the ups and downs a lot of us have in the industry. But, I know some people may have different problems than myself, or may open my eyes to problems I never knew existed.

To summarize this without too much ranting, I am curious as to where you think technology could possibly come into play with regards to making your day easier. Whether it be quoting problems, document managing problems, or even a simple business automation that would make your job more accessible and fluid, I would love to hear about it.

I know AMS do a ton now, but if there is anything that may not fit inside that box, feel free to let me know!

About me? I am an agent turned web developer, and I am looking to build web applications that are tailored towards Insurance agents.

Again, thanks for hearing me out and any, and all suggestions are welcomed!

I would love to have a program that can store client info and medication lists , and automatically pull data from the Medicare Part D plan finder tool to help identify which clients need to review their Part D plan during the open enrollment period , and who is good to stay where they are at.

The dashboard could look something like this:

Client Name Current Plan Total Annual Cost Best Plan Best plan Annual Cost

John Sample Silver Script $1,836 Humana $1,319

Jill Sample AARP $3,216 AARP $3,216

Andre Sample Aetna $584 Cigna $432

EDIT: For some reason it is crunching all of text closer together than when I submit the post, hopefully you get the idea.

Last edited:
Big gap in the market for wholesalers/MGA MGU. Most systems are catered for retail agents. They are packed with things to help generate forms/certificates which a wholesaler does not need ( we recieve completed forms from our retailers)

We recently migrated to a system that would allow our retailers to log into a portal and get real time info on their submissions and their status. Not many options out there that provide a portal and maybe capacity to make cc payments online?

Thanks for the feedback! This is something I have never dealt with, so I will be sure to do some more research on it!

I would love to have a program that can store client info and medication lists , and automatically pull data from the Medicare Part D plan finder tool to help identify which clients need to review their Part D plan during the open enrollment period , and who is good to stay where they are at.

The dashboard could look something like this:

Client Name Current Plan Total Annual Cost Best Plan Best plan Annual Cost

John Sample Silver Script $1,836 Humana $1,319

Jill Sample AARP $3,216 AARP $3,216

Andre Sample Aetna $584 Cigna $432

EDIT: For some reason it is crunching all of text closer together than when I submit the post, hopefully you get the idea.

This is really intriguing, especially if nothing of the sort exist... The market would be huge if the product was written correctly.

Thanks for the insight! I'll do some looking into this as well!

Keep them coming!

These are great responses so far.

Latest posts

Back