Insurance Telemarketer Becoming a Agent

defenderzeta

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ok heres the score, i typically sell 4-6 limited benefit policies per day 5 1/2 days a week in a call room setting. I front the call, pretty much sell the product and then transfer it to a licensed agent who does a brief questionairre, enrolls the client on the computer, and then finishes with a recording.

I strictly sell limited benefit / mini-med policies, but i DO NOT flip people from Major Med (if they need that or if they are pregnant i send the lead to a licensed agent). I typically work with folks who can't qualify for normal policies or who have been uninsured for 6 months or more. I swear i dont go over to the dark side of the force (so please dont flame)

My question is this, I pretty much know the entire process from front to back as far as selling the product. But the compensation if I go independent is somewhat vague to me. They pay me a set $ per closing but keep the exact #s on how much they make on a policy a top secret.

Do these types of policies pay the entire first months premium or what? I am trying to put together a business plan before i take my licensing test. The only difference between what they do and what I will do is I will add a catastrophic addon policy if possible to cover the person (any providers you would recommend would be appreciated).

So how much do limited (structured) benefit policies pay and how do they pay?

Thank you for taking the time to help a new soon to be agent who is asking these questions in good faith and who sells a product that is typically mis-sold in the cleanest way he can to those who can benefit from it.

What is the product brand name you are selling and I can tell you how much they are making on it?

Tom

I have a limited medical plan that will pay a $115 per app bonus plus 20 to 30% of the monthly rate. Can be sold as an independent or in a call center.

18-24% of the monthly premium every month they pay is your income.

Who has that range?

Are you speaking of carriers in general?

On indemnity / mini med plans - you can get as little as 5% and as much as 40%.

On traditional plans - I have access to as little as 5% and as much as 40% as well - depends on carrier.

Example - GR can rake you 25% from the get go. Ass will get ya - 26%. Just depends . . .

I have a limited medical plan that will pay a $115 per app bonus plus 20 to 30% of the monthly rate. Can be sold as an independent or in a call center.

Who is it?

Tom

The only 2 companies I have info on are AIM-18-22% and Homeland -20-24%. I'm sure you have many more that you offer and probably better %'s.

Thank you for those who sent me private messages answering my questions.

One last question, is it best to go under a broker to learn the ropes or to go independent with my own E&O (I used to own a Realty/Mortgage company)

And if i go under a broker whats reasonable since i will be buying my own leads and self generating business from home?

This week i did a bit more than $4300 in premiums this week.

What would that equate into commission?

Last edited:
If that's monthy premium, about $800-900, if it's yearly premium, about $70-80.

thats monthly.

but dont they give you the first 3 or 6 months x 20% as a lump sum?

or is it just the straight percentage of the premium?

Back