Insurance Wholesalers -Question

ebooks

Expert
I just received my General Lines license (2-20, Florida), and one of my class instructors mentioned Hull & Co. They basically do every kind of insurance on earth, for 10% of the commissions. The client is mine, as they dont deal with customers, just agents. From my understanding they have a quoting system, and may do some of the underwriting on site. Everything seems cool but they want me to be licensed for 1 yr, and I only have my license 1 month. Plus have $1M in E & O, which is a little more than I would like to pay for at this point, but is OK if I had to.

I may be looking for MGA, managing general agent or Wholesale insurance broker. Primarily for commercial, but if the offered property & auto, that would be great. Ideas are appreciated.

Can an agent go to a wholesaler, or does one have to be a broker or with their own owner of their own company ?

Yes, an agent can approach a wholesaler directly. A good wholesaler works with you on accounts and is your direct representative to the markets that they are appointed with.

Hull does a good amount of binding authority, but getting a new appointment with them is going to be a challenge as they have been leaning up their agent base over the last 2-3 years.

If you need further insight, please don't hesitate to call me. I worked for Hull & Co for 2 years.

Back