Insured's Crafting Own Coi's or Documents

AZDave

Guru
100+ Post Club
Just got cc'd on an email to my insured. This vender is in need of updated GL dates on the coi that was just issued today from my office. Interesting, since we didn't issue any coi's on this account today.

Looks like they printed out some dates on a computer, cut and taped them over an old coi of mine, and faxed to the vender to comply with contract requirements. It its really bad. A third grader could have done better.

They let their work comp cancel in June for non pay and taped in current dates, but used a coi that we provided for same vender in 2014.

They are busted. Not sure how to respond to the upcoming phone call asking for workers compensation. Or maybe they wont be needing it, since the vender is onto them. Happens to be for Arizona Department of Transportation and the contract is quite large.

Idiots.

Anyone had any similar crafty customers out there?

I had someone do this with their auto EOI (personal lines, not commercial). For some reason, they didn't stop to think that the policy was still cancelled and no, the carrier would not pay for the accident they had.

Oh well, I guess I can't blame them for trying.

Dan

Wow that's insane! Who commits fraud like that? What a moron. Any chance he got insurance elsewhere and somehow this isn't what it looks like?

Nope, its real forgery. You can see the edges of paper outline. They typed new effective dates and issue dates on little pieces of paper. Then taped the little pieces over the top of one of my old certs and copied again. Their problem was they didn't pay attention to the GL term, which shows expired.

I still control the gl, commercial auto and personal lines. Besides the lapse on the work comp, there has not been any problems with this account and I have had them insured for at least 6 years.

I did send over a current coi to the folks at ADOT, without any work comp of course. They can make their own conclusions on which cert is real.

I foresee an interesting conversation with them soon. Maybe I'll send them the link to pdffiller.com !

it happened to me a month ago; and I used it to push the vendor to push the client to buy another policy from me nicely and politely
inform the vendor in writing that coverage doesn't exist under the WC
due to NON Payment of Premium by the Insured
the insured can't go somewhere else; if he does its admittance of forgery

Dude I still can't wrap my head around this...how somebody ACTUALLY commits forgery. I know it happens, but I mean...I never experienced it first hand OR came across somebody who it has happened to.

Not sure how big those accounts are & so long as you're kosher on your end & are making money on it...who cares...but part of me would be scared of that person & what they're capable of.

Got an email from the vender today, thanking me for the gl and auto cert's, but needs the work comp to complete their compliance. So, they don't care.

Soon after, as expected, insured emails wanting to know what its going to take to get the work comp going. Have yet to talk on the phone, as I do have a question or two.

I'm probably going to write it, put it on EFT and move on. But will definitely keep watch on this one.

Got an email from the vender today, thanking me for the gl and auto cert's, but needs the work comp to complete their compliance. So, they don't care. Soon after, as expected, insured emails wanting to know what its going to take to get the work comp going. Have yet to talk on the phone, as I do have a question or two. I'm probably going to write it, put it on EFT and move on. But will definitely keep watch on this one.

Maybe have him do the comp on a one pay. This account is trouble

I would SO dump this client! Talk to your carriers and let them take the lead on this! They will cancel for mis-rep or something. I wouldn't want a potential E&O mess like them! Run!!

Back