Insurers Blaming the Victim as SOP to Reduce Claims Expense

G

I know that Allstate used to claim their insureds were at least 1% at fault for every collision.

Does anyone know if Allstate has a similar practice where they always say the claimant was at least partially at fault? Their insured backed into my stationary Ford Excursion (a very large and hard to miss SUV), and they are claiming that I am 10% at fault.

Is this blaming the claimant, regardless of the facts, a common practice in the P&C insurance industry?

I was directly behind him and perpendicular to him (we were in a parking lot). The person who backed into me admitted that he did not look behind him before backing out.

So are they expecting you to pay 10% of the claims?

Sorry I have no advice, I am not a P&C guy. Does your mother or grandmother need to save money on her medicare supplement?;)

I was told by some insurance defense attorneys once that from time to time some companies will initially deny basically every claim.

I was directly behind him and perpendicular to him (we were in a parking lot). The person who backed into me admitted that he did not look behind him before backing out.

So are they trying to say that you should have had reasonable doubt that the other driver is not in the habit of looking behind him before backing out? :skeptical:

This is almost routine in the health business with some carriers. Any illness related claim, particularly during the first 6 months, is scrutinized. One carrier in particular will deny the claim automatically because they know many will not challenge it.

This is almost routine in the health business with some carriers. Any illness related claim, particularly during the first 6 months, is scrutinized. One carrier in particular will deny the claim automatically because they know many will not challenge it.

Care to share?

Back