Insurers Sank Connecticut’s ‘Public Option.’ Would A National Version Survive?

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Insurers Sank Connecticut’s ‘Public Option.’ Would A National Version Survive?

But the stunning 2019 defeat of a plan to implement such a policy in Connecticut — a solidly blue, or liberal-leaning, state — shows how difficult it may be to enact even “moderate” solutions that threaten some of America’s most powerful and lucrative industries. The health insurance industry’s fear: If the average American could weigh a public option — Medicare or Medicaid or some amalgam of the two — against commercial plans on the market, they might find the latter wanting.

Health care costs were rising. People couldn’t afford coverage. So, in Connecticut, state lawmakers took action.

Their solution was to attempt to create a public health insurance option, managed by the state, which would ostensibly serve as a low-cost alternative for people who couldn’t afford private plans.

Obamacare came about because . . .

Health care and health care INSURANCE costs were rising.

People could not afford health insurance (or simply chose to go naked).

So the folks in DC who know NOTHING about health care or health insurance decided to take action.

Their solution was to take over the health insurance (and health care) industry by fiat in order to "bend the health care cost curve" and create an "affordable" option, managed by the carriers but subject to government OVERSIGHT. A type of Fascism if you will.

And just like magic, the health care crisis was fixed . . .

somarco said:

Their solution was to take over the health insurance (and health care) industry by fiat in order to "bend the health care cost curve" and create an "affordable" option, managed by the carriers but subject to government OVERSIGHT.

Ugh. An hour after I posted this, my mother called. She forgot to tell me that on Thursday she found out my aunt, who retired early due to disability enrolled in an ACA plan with a subsidy. She received a letter in the mail earlier in the week stating she owes $9,000 as she underestimated her income.

I told her I send everyone straight to the Marketplace and have them explain the plans, premiums, tax credits, etc. Who needs this headache?

I send everyone to hc.gov as well.

No commission for me.

Also no HEADACHES.

You got complaints?

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

Back