Interesting tidbit for noobs

trvlnut

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Well, I had something interesting happen. It's also going to be a big pain.

My client applied with Aetna. She is single with 3 kids. She was rated up while her 3 kids weren't. Aetna split them up so that she has her own policy and they have their own policy. So, instead of a family rate at $378/mth with a rate-up for her. They split her out and gave her an individual rate of $200 with a 50% rate up. The kids are now at $89/ea. Total amount of new policies? $567.

I thought the newer people would want to know this and can learn from it.

She can move her kids to another plan and keep herself on the richer plan. I am going to check with her and see if that's something she wants to do to save $s on premium.

Last edited:
Not sure why they split the kids. Aetna has the ability to keep them together and rate only the mom.

They kept the 3 kids together and took mom off. Sorry for the confusion.

ETA: Yes, there are 4 policies. One for each child and one for mom. Sorry for further confusion

Last edited:
3 x $89 is 3 single policies.

4 counting mom.

Not the same thing.

Go back to your Aetna rep and ask why they broke it up into 4 separate policies. I have never seen a company do that, especially when the rated individual was an adult.

Gone back to my GA and asking him to call Aetna. I think they should be adjusting the rates.

Not sure if it matters that they split them up because the it's the same rate if they kept the kids on one policy or split them up.

Last edited:
Gone back to my GA and asking him to call Aetna. I think they should be adjusting the rates.

Not sure if it matters that they split them up because the it's the same rate if they kept the kids on one policy or split them up.

Make sure that you don't just focus on the rate. Also consider the maximum exposure by having a plan for each kid, as well as the mother. A 50% rate is very high. Did you check with some other carriers to see if she could get a better deal?

Somarco: They won't release info to me and i haven't been able to reach her.

She is overweight. She is an auto decline with BCBS and GR. I haven't checked the other carriers. I may need to do that.

Salpro: I didn't think about the maximum exposure. I know she said that her kids never go to the doc.

Last edited:
Somarco: They won't release info to me and i haven't been able to reach her.

She is overweight. She is an auto decline with BCBS and GR. I haven't checked the other carriers. I may need to do that.

Salpro: I didn't think about the maximum exposure. I know she said that her kids never go to the doc.

What do you think about when you are deciding to sell a plan? I imagine you have a set of criteria.

What's my criteria? I guess you can say what's my client's criteria. I question the client to see what type of plan they are interested in. Then I run rates and let them choose. I answer any questions they have about the plans as well.

Back