Internet Complaint Department

MatthewC

Expert
This probably should go under the heading "Don't Believe Everything You Read on the Internet"...However,

It seems that at least every 60-days someone who has either purchased insurance or is about to purchase balks because they have read some "bad reviews" about the company on the internet.

Web sites they reference include: Best Health Insurance Companies for 2015 - ConsumerAffairs
and Ripoff Report | Scams, reviews, complaints, lawsuits and frauds. File a report, post your review. Consumers educating consumers.

In each case this leads me into a long discussion about how these sites are more a sounding board for people who don't understand their policy or insurance, don't have an agent /broker etc. In the case of these sites I point out that every company they list has a poor rating. How can that be if it was nothing more than a sour grape soap box?

I am curious if others have this as an occasional problem to deal with and how they approach the subject.

I would equate the situation back to their profession, or a common service such as banking, cell phones, and cable TV providers, and to sites like Yelp or even PlanetFeedback.com.

Not every company is going to please everyone 100% of the time.

Then review your process and how you came to arrive at the recommendation you have, based on listening to what the prospect wanted. If this is still what you want, then my recommendation is still XYZ. If you want to pay more, I've got ABC and DEF, but that's just to avoid dealing with XYZ.

And any personal experiences you have with XYZ may be helpful as well.

I broke it down recently for this couple. I was like if you have an insurance company with 100 people insured and 20 are pissed off, then you got a problem. If you have an insurance giant like United Healthcare with Millions of insured's and 60 people are pissed, then you still have millions of happy customers.

I followed your links and read some complaints on a few companies I am contracted with and they were baseless. One complaint said AARP ripped off grandma because she does not go to the doctor but one time a year and does not need a supplement. The older you get the sicker you get so what happens if this is the year grandma needs open heart surgery or brain surgery, gets cancer. Then they would be pretty damn happy she has a medicare
supplement

I feel your pain on this subject. I had an ex- employee slander me on several websites. I am sure it cost me business.

Back