Internet Leads...beyond the lead.

Thanks for your thoughts so far...however this is not exactly what I am looking for.

I was thinking something like this:

Company A: I really like X

Company B: I really liked X

Make sense?

Not really! Before you ask that question maybe we should ask you a few questions.

1. How long you been in the biz?
2. What's your closing ratio?
3. Are you a closer?

You need a foundation set before you should think about buying leads. John has said it over and over, you have to know your sh^t before you should think about buying leads. You are going up against ruthless agents who will do whatever it takes to get a sale. Can you compete? Ethically?

I did quite well off internet leads last month, but it's not the type of lead I like to work. Besides, I have so many leads and referrals now than I can deal with. I'm not trying to sound like a jack azz, but it is the truth. If you don't know every product in your market, don't have GREAT sales skills or can't close then DON'T BUY THEM!!

They are notorious. I personally experienced many of their agents flat out lying to clients about the plans. That's the biggest "turn it and burn it" outfit out there and call centers are the major reason I don't buy leads. It's hard to be ethical and go up against liars.

By the way, I caught two "agents" who were completely unlicensed. Clients gave me their name and I ran them through the DOI - nothing. I called on after getting his number from a client. Never guess what he told me - that he didn't have to be licensed since he wrote under his manager's number.

Last edited:
You make some good points, but I think that the original question is still a good one.

Thanks Melmunch...I still dont feel that I have got my answer. All I seem to get is a list of peoples bad experiences. What i was really asking is what do you LIKE about the companies you either are currently buying from or bought in the past.

Last edited:
Want my two cents worth on a lead company?? LEADCO.... been using them for a few weeks... had nothing but problems, they fight like hell to not credit leads... here is the email i just sent them on the most recent denial of credit:

As i told u at the beginning of my lead request, NO PERSON BY THAT NAME. This lead had better be credited NOW!!. All i have done with u people is fight over credits, I think I will post a short blog on the insurance fourm I am active on. Here, mabye u have heard of them: http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/
Charles Peeler

Sorry to bead a dead horse but you choose:

Buy internet leads at around $8 a pop - shared with at least 3 different agents and must hop on the lead as soon as you get it. Almost no one is self-employed and solid familes are few and far between. When a family lead does come in it's like throwing raw steak into a cage of lions.

or....

Post a free ad on Craigslist for home-based telemarketers and pay $12/hr. They get 2.5 leads per hour so your lead cost is $4.8. They're calling small business owners so you're entire block of business is financially secure owners between 40 and 55 - average age. The leads are exclusive so it takes you a day to call them that's fine. You're not losing deals to Mega. You're not losing deals to discount card reps. You're not losing deals to unethical agents selling stripped down plans, touting them as "fantastic" killing what you're offering.

So you pick. It's either "Becky, age 28 with two kids" who needs to be at $100 a month, or Tom - owner of a small business, age 42, wife 38 with two kids who's currently paying $750 for his plan and you can save him $250 a month.

Ultimately, you can pay your bills by buying internet leads if:

1. You find a few decent companies and have a good relationship with them.
2. You stick with the program for a significant amount of time. If you don't, you will never see the long term roi which is needed to keep doing it.
3. Have excellent product knowledge.
4. Have quick access to your emails, and follow up right away.
5. Be a decent phone salesman.

If you have these qualities, you can do very well in any insurance industry, be it health, life, disability, or even dental and discount cards.

It doesn't matter which lead source you're using, you need the fill the pipeline before you start banging out deals. Realize that at 20% commission three deals a week gets you six figures. Name me a job where you don't bust your ass for six figures? Some of these leads close in two days, some close in a month, some come out of the woodwork 2 or 3 months later.

They key is being able to survive for at least the first month while your pipeline gets full. I might close 1 out of 15 leads, but that doesn't mean if I get just 30 leads from Monday to Friday I'll put in two deals. I might put in zero to one deal - the other might come 2 weeks later.

Back