Interview Advice Needed

mikekaleny

Hi, I would like to get some advice;

I'm currently looking for a new job and it seems most of the offices where I live (NYC) won't tell me what salary they are offering even when I ask until after I come in for an interview. I don't mind it but so far the past 3-4 interviewers have offered me a job in the $12-$14 an hour range which I think is a little ridiculous since I have 2 years experience and a P&C license.

My question is, how can I get the employers to tell me what salary they are offering without wasting my time?

You probably can't with any sort of direct approach.

On the phone screen though, you can 'qualify' them and make sure it will be close to a match. You can use one of 2 approaches.

You: How much does this position pay?
Them: Well, it depends on your qualifications, experience and personality fit and production. (no real answer here)

Alternate approach, will turn off some:
You: I am a licensed producer with several years of experience and a history of solid production. I am looking to work for an agency that values a solid work ethic and someone who writes consistent business. Is this position budgeted for a salary of at least $45,000 a year to attract a good candidate?

Notice that the second approach is mostly an ad for yourself, but it also lays out what you want (pick I number, I used $45K) and lets them know up front what you expect. It will save you both time.

This needs to be one of the last questions you ask during the phone screen so they know if its going to work or not.

Dan

You probably can't with any sort of direct approach.

On the phone screen though, you can 'qualify' them and make sure it will be close to a match. You can use one of 2 approaches.

You: How much does this position pay?
Them: Well, it depends on your qualifications, experience and personality fit and production. (no real answer here)

Alternate approach, will turn off some:
You: I am a licensed producer with several years of experience and a history of solid production. I am looking to work for an agency that values a solid work ethic and someone who writes consistent business. Is this position budgeted for a salary of at least $45,000 a year to attract a good candidate?

Notice that the second approach is mostly an ad for yourself, but it also lays out what you want (pick I number, I used $45K) and lets them know up front what you expect. It will save you both time.

This needs to be one of the last questions you ask during the phone screen so they know if its going to work or not.

Dan

Thanks for the response. I've used the first approach and have gotten those results. I guess I will have to try the second one now.

I'm currently looking for a new job and it seems most of the offices where I live (NYC) won't tell me what salary they are offering even when I ask until after I come in for an interview. I don't mind it but so far the past 3-4 interviewers have offered me a job in the $12-$14 an hour range which I think is a little ridiculous since I have 2 years experience and a P&C license.

My question is, how can I get the employers to tell me what salary they are offering without wasting my time?

Why don't you just ask for more money?

Why don't you just ask for more money?

I did once and was told that was the maximum they would offer plus commission on new lines that I brought in myself. The other times I would politely tell them that its low and I wouldn't be able to take the offer hoping that they would increase the offer but they never do.

You're in NYC? Have you tried applying at Lemonade yet?

are these a salary plus commission position? I would not mind a bigger commission pay out and a smaller salary...

Back