Interviewed with New York Life

Healthguy,

I love you too. Did you finish the cup of coffee you had at NYL? ;)

I don't know if your bitterness was from being there a short time or a long time. Me? I put a decade in and enjoyed my settlement when they paid that, for their great purge of agents in the 90's. I also enjoy my NYLIC right now as they pay it to me every month.

Any bitterness I had was generated by some (not all) of the people at NYL. I understand the difference. Had the current GM been there when I started, I'd probably still be there. It just depends on who you get to work with. That's a truism of any carrier out here.

I take it you had a bad experience, but from your questions you pose on this site from time to time, it just seems like you weren't there long enough to learn much or had a crappy instructor. Do tell...

Rember this -

Your interviewing them.

Your trying to find the right fit for your self/family.

As one person mentioned they will take any live body with a warm market.

Sure, you can't be a complete and utter waste case but go to this "interview" and then don't call them back.

You'll get a call every couple of months from a new manager asking you to come in and "interview" or what ever you want to call it.

DHK, don't feed the trolls.

DCFT,

I understand your point. But I used to think the same way until I finally was taught about the "real world". It may be a "troll" asking the question, but there are a LOT of people who read the board that don't participate in the discussion... and I think I write things out more for THEIR perspective than any "troll".

Also, it helps my mind remember this stuff as well. I benefit more from my sharing these things than most other people.

It's an act of self-interest. :)

Also do joint work with experienced reps in the office, make the introduction and shut up when in front of a client, then talk the reps ear off in the car on the way to and from the meeting. You'll get even more out of those sessions than in a classroom.

This...almost exclusively for the first 6 months.

I am about to get contract approved after a few snags. I finaly got a chance to read through the agents contract, and basically it appears anyone I get to sign with them, upon either termination or resignation, ie starting my own business, NYL, had the right to keep me from selling insurance for 24 months, any changed in sold policies can result in 100% of commissions received having to be paid back. They site restraining orders and injunctions against me or any future employer. I have some good leads and I don't want to sell overpriced product to my natural market and then get fired for some reason and leave all these people committed and myself legally, financially exposed.

Is this for real or just a scare tactic? You use language like "can" so I'm not sure. Also, doesn't this violate California law that makes non-compete agreements basically worthless in that state?

Is this for real or just a scare tactic? You use language like "can" so I'm not sure. Also, doesn't this violate California law that makes non-compete agreements basically worthless in that state?

It's real. Whether or not they exercise these "agreements" in the contract depends on whether or not they can make money from enforcing them. By not selling their product and not receiving payment I am not at much risk, although, it turns out they made me an active agent even after leaving the company, so I have to be careful about trying to do business with anyone who has NYL policy in force. The whole thing is a joke. The management just wants to get people signed up so they can collect their bonus, probably. They are working the NYL home office, just like they are working potential agents. It feels great to be independent, that's all I can say. It's not for everyone, but for me I like the freedom.

Back