Interviewing with Farmers

MUGrad09

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I graduated from the University of Missouri in May with a BS in personal financial management services with minors in business and economics.

I have my second interview with Farmers tomorrow afternoon with the DM and after reading all of the negative things about Farmers in this forum, I am very skeptical about proceeding after the interview if offered the job. The person I interviewed with earlier this week made everything that they say about being an agent seem way too good to be true, obviously they are going to do that get my interest I guess.

I guess what I am wondering is: I'm 23 years old, live with my parents now and plan to for at least another year, and really don't have any savings, would Farmers be a decent place for me to get started in the business? I don't need a large amount of income right away, I just want to get my foot in the door.

Also, any suggestions on questions I should ask the DM tomorrow, assuming I'll actually be meeting with him?

Thanks

What he will likely do is show you a folio (paycheck) from an agent to show you the potential earning. Looking at a paycheck for $300,000/month gave me chills, so when he/she does this just ask how many agents are in the district and what the average folio amount is. Also keep in mind they are gross commissions. I was a Farmers agent for 9 years and made a very comfortable living so I guess I can't complain too much. But I did leave for a reason. I also wouldn't put too much stock in these responses. I could tell you all the reasons why Farmers was miserable, but then someone else will rave about how great they are so who do you listen too?? Bottom line, if it's a fit for you, that's what matters.

Matt

Why did you go to college all those years and decide to go work on a farm? I figure you college kids would like to go sit behind a desk and put your good brains to work. Why settle for life as a dirty ol' farmer? Haha just kidding!

Keep in mind, they won't offer you a job. They offer you a career opportunity, running your own business. This is no different than most carriers.

If you think of it as a job opportunity, you will not survive. If you think of it as a business owner, you stand a chance. This is not related to Farmers, just insurance as a whole and P&C specifically.

Dan

Back