iPhone 3G or Blackberry for Insurance Agents

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
I've searched the forum and I've found some posts about this, but not many recent. It seems like agents are saying:
iPhone for web-browsing.
Blackberry for e-mail.

Are there any other features which make one stand out above the other? I use excel to compare Final Expense prices for all the companies I'm appointed with (at least I did until I found ritterim's quote engine...haven't used it yet but it looks nice), does either work better for excel? Will Ritterim's work on the iPhone?

My phone just died (stupid Sprint :1arghh:) and my contract is up on the 12th of May, so I'm going to get either an iPhone or a Blackberry.

Normally, I have quotes prepared before I get to an appointment, but occasionally I have to turn the laptop on. Will either of these phones negate the need for the laptop? I know a lot of the carriers quoting platforms only work in IE, so will they work with Safari? (or does the iPhone have IE).

I iphone is basically a portable office and the apps are just insane. Some very functional, some very fun. Iphone hands down. I'm going out today looking for a small fridge. I'll use the Red Laser app. It scans the price then will let me know if it's cheaper someplace close. It might list at $110 in the store I'm at, but $80 2 miles away. It's nuts.

That said, the iphone doesn't negate the need for a laptop. If I'm on business I'll always have to bring my laptop. I can't type long emails or documents on any device that small. Also not that the iphone doesn't support flash so any website with a flash or any flash vids are out.

Last edited:
I just got my iphone last month. I love its ease of use. It take me about 2 days to decide, but now I love it. I love the touchscreen and all the apps that are available. We have no land line, so I use this phone for all my business needs. I can stay in touch with my emails on the road or use internet if I want. But, as stated above I still use a laptop for quotes, etc. Just do your research on both and compare side by side what you really need and then get that one. There are great sites to review features, etc.

I really like my blackberry but I have never used an Iphone. The push email delivery speed on a blackberry is supposed to be faster though, so lead emails will show up quicker.

I've also heard that the new android phones are better than the iphone in terms of speed and their app store is quickly catching up to the iphone. And they can multitask.

I love the iPhone for everything except it's not great with excell. Docs to go works on the iPhone but is much better on my old Palm phone. I still carry the Palm to use for my spreadsheet calcs on appointments.

I really like my blackberry but I have never used an Iphone. The push email delivery speed on a blackberry is supposed to be faster though, so lead emails will show up quicker.

I've also heard that the new android phones are better than the iphone in terms of speed and their app store is quickly catching up to the iphone. And they can multitask.

Agreed about the lack of multitasking which is a big negative for the iphone. I'd love to listen to Rhapsody while either surfing or using another app. No dice.

Another negative I forgot about is Apple makes sure that your recent device will be junk every 2 to 3 years. The next iphone update will not support any 3g unit, only the newest 3gs.

I've had my iphone for just over a year and already it's not only obsolete, but won't receive any more software updates. I'd have to go buy a new phone. Jobs know that there's no money in selling a phone once and giving continual support. Just cut off all support every 3 years and make everyone buy the newest unit.

Big negative.

I am waiting for the new Sprint 4G Android phone to come out. Per sites like Cnet and PC World it is supposed to be "the" phone. Larger HD screen and multitasking.

Back