Is Anyone Starting to Get a Strange Feeling

while writing individual health policies? I know there is a great deal of fiction being written on the board about our current renewals, and how we will be paid going forward on the the individual plans.

However, setting the colorful hypotheses aside, we could all be SOL. For the first time today, it actually felt kind of strange to be writing an indy plan. I'm sure it's going to get worse in the next few months.

The fact is they can pull the plug on producers with a fairly short notice, and when everybody starts rolling around on the ground and crying they can say hey, you've known this was coming for 4 years.

I am finding myself not really wanting to return IFP/HIPAA phone calls/e-mails and seem to be finishing any conversations with something like "it doesn't really matter, you will have to get off of whatever you buy in a year anyway" or "rate increase? Just suck it up for 9 months since you're going to have to drop that plan anyway--no point in changing now.".

The only way I write an individual plan these days is if I get a call. And even then I just send them a link to apply online. I'm just not going to spend a whole lot of time on health insurance and haven't for the last couple of years.

The only way I write an individual plan these days is if I get a call. And even then I just send them a link to apply online. I'm just not going to spend a whole lot of time on health insurance and haven't for the last couple of years.

This!!! ^^^^

To be honest, I've been getting a good number of calls and referrals from folks wanting health coverage lately. Either people are finally getting around to buying something, or they are switching because their current coverage premiums are going to the roof next year.

I do the same. Quote a couple carriers, send them a link via email so they can sign up on their own. I always send a note telling them to call me with any questions or if they would like me to further explain coverage or modify the quote/deductible/dental/whatever.

That is how I sell Health Ins all the time..talk and explain the plan over the phone and send the link to apply...unless they do not have a computer then they can come to the office.

Well see what is going to go down in health ins arena next year..I think they will still have to pay the agents.

I say the same thing...suck it up for 9 months, your whole world will change then, and we'll revisit in Sept/Oct. Plus, new rates keep going up, and they are typically still in the cheapest comparable plan even with the rate up already.

I'm getting discouraged watching this thing blow up and roll out. Quite sad how our govey is destroying the biz and my biz.

I don't pursue major med, or group. If it falls in my lap, OK. 5 minutes on the phone and here is the link. Take or leave it.

while writing individual health policies, we could all be SOL. For the first time today, it actually felt kind of strange to be writing an indy plan. I'm sure it's going to get worse in the next few months.

You're right Bill. It feels "strange" on several fronts. 1.) There have been no announcements of trips. 2.) BCBS-IL does not have a 2013 Individual Business incentive program... 3.) Some 2013 premiums have actually decreased compared to quotes I ran earlier in 2012 for shoppers. 4.) Some companies are still advancing 6 months of commissions. For how long?

Company execs are waiting for more rulings from HHS. I know which ruling(s) I'm looking forward to... 1.) what happens to existing plans and 2.) what can be sold outside of the exchange.
-ac

Anthem CA is offering a 2013 bonus program on IFP, 300 subscribers nets you $50,000 bonus (it tiers up from around 5 I believe). Not too shabby give the short-term nature of those sales :swoon:

Back