Is Being a One Man Office Still Possible

Fogline

Here's who I am. I have run my own business for almost twenty years. Due to market changes and regulations that are strangling growth I decided to make a change. One of my largest expenses has always been insurance and I have not always been happy with my agents and how I was handled as a client. So when I finally decide it's time for a change insurance is my direction. Long story short I find my self working in a captive agency. I see guys killing the phones and making twice the calls that I do. But my numbers are just as strong as theirs. I find myself not liking the captive system because when a client needs something we don't offer it kills me I can't find a way to make it happen. So my question is can a one man shop working from home to start be a reality.
I have read the threads on SIAA and Smart choice and figure I will try to get appointed with progressive to start. Any comments on SIAA and Smart choice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, totally possible in the beginning. You have the right plan get a few direct appointments and research what works the best for you regarding what association to become a part of. You need a diverse carrier line-up, so it would be worth paying the cost when you are starting out.

Here's who I am. I have run my own business for almost twenty years. Due to market changes and regulations that are strangling growth I decided to make a change. One of my largest expenses has always been insurance and I have not always been happy with my agents and how I was handled as a client. So when I finally decide it's time for a change insurance is my direction. Long story short I find my self working in a captive agency. I see guys killing the phones and making twice the calls that I do. But my numbers are just as strong as theirs. I find myself not liking the captive system because when a client needs something we don't offer it kills me I can't find a way to make it happen. So my question is can a one man shop working from home to start be a reality.
I have read the threads on SIAA and Smart choice and figure I will try to get appointed with progressive to start. Any comments on SIAA and Smart choice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming your getting into P&C. What state are you in?

So my question is can a one man shop working from home to start be a reality.

I don't do P&C, so there are some differences, but if the carriers allow it then I don't see why not.

On the life/health side, when I first got a license it was just me and my wife, I started making cold calls and doing work using a desk in a corner of the living room of our small 1 bedroom apartment. Now that we have 3 kids, I use an upstairs office and the family knows not to be noisy upstairs - so it works just fine. All that to say, it sounds like you can make it work - don't doubt yourself, just go for it.

I am planning on an office year 3 once I have a book established. But from what I have seen not many customers come into the office maybe two a week. More solicitors than customers. So just a small office.

I am planning on an office year 3 once I have a book established. But from what I have seen not many customers come into the office maybe two a week. More solicitors than customers. So just a small office.

As mentioned before some carriers will want you to have some sort of office. See if you can find a part time office that allows you to book time blocks in advance to use if needed for meetings and has a business mailing address that you can give out and receive mail at. Some office buildings offer this where I live not sure if you have something like that available close to you. This is an inexpensive option compared to having a full time office and is usually month to month and furnished. It will help you look more established as nobody has to know its not a full time office and will give you a better chance to get appointments. Also its better to meet your cluster territory manager and or carrier territory managers at your part time office instead of your house or Starbucks. If you also don't have a business plan start making it because the cluster you go with or carriers you reach out to may ask you for one. If you can try to have a little money saved before you go out on your own as well. You will have to pay for all your own leads, systems etc. it all adds up. You can definitely do it as a one man shop starting out, but have a little plan to make sure it works for you. Hopefully this helps a little.

Back