Is GI the only option for my Bipolar client?

Go for a simple GI to cover the FE cost. Use the bulk of available funds to build up cash in a small traditional IRA. Columbian Life would work, GI coverage starts at age 25. Each agent has his own ideas on how to approach (seemingly hopeless) situations such as this.

The key is to do what is best for the client.

Oddly enough on that point, in reality, often its not what so much is best for the client, but for what would be best for the family or the beni's. Life insurance is what we leave for others, not ourselves. Not like care ins. or home ins., ect.

Do your best, I am sure you will.

Can this Bipolar Single Mom comfortably commit to $100 mo forever? If Yes, I, probably in the minority, would Make sure the death benefit is covered for the child's needs first. I still think a Term / Perm combo would be where I would start then back into the premium budget. Maybe a short pay SIWL Term combo.

""with Bipolar, Anxiety and ADD in 2016. She's currently prescribed Latuda, Lamictal, and Vyvanse for the ADD. 5'7 and just under 300lbs""

Both mortality and morbidity do not look good. At 300# at age 27, the meds combined with Alcohol and Drugs, I doubt she is going to get healthier in the future. I have done a number of cases like this. Normally the parents or grandparents are the owner and payors. They will eventually be taking care of the children.

Side note: I get trying to do your best for a referral however, don't buy a lapse just because you want to help.

You make good sense. I'll put together a good Term/Perm(With a goal of 100-125K total)combo and convince her that this is the priority and we can take care of the retirement/savings another way. Her family is very present since she leans on them pretty heavily with the kid and all. Although they aren't the payors directly, I'm confident they will step in before letting the policies lapse. I will ask to speak with them to make sure we're all on the same page before writing the policies.

Back