Is Healthcare a Privilege or a Right?

Food, shelter and health care is available to all. The question is how to pay for it.

If society chooses, individually or collectively, to voluntarily aid those who lack funds to pay for their basic needs then that is their choice. We as taxpayers should not be obligated to provide shelter, food or medical care to citizens and non-citizens alike on a carte blanche basis.

Hillary's speech last night made me want to barf. Anyone who buys into that crap is an ***. It is not the role of government to educate our children, provide jobs, lower energy bills or provide universal medical care.

And FWIW, too many people conflate health care with health insurance. They are not the same thing.

We as taxpayers should not be obligated to provide shelter, food or medical care to citizens and non-citizens alike on a carte blanche basis.

It is not the role of government to educate our children, provide jobs, lower energy bills or provide universal medical care.

Actually it is and has been for a long time. Perhaps in 1776 it was not the role of the government, but this changed many years ago as our society and government changed. In fact, education has been provided at government/taxpayer expense for several hundred years?

Healthcare? The government has provided healthcare free of charge to the indigent, poor, imprisoned, government workers, elderly, children, ect for a long time now too.

The government has chosen to set energy policy putting us not at the mercy of supply and demand, but rather regulation and tax driven control over our energy.

The genie is out of the bottle and to try to shove the cork back in without spitting on it first is akin to, well... perhaps my visualization is best left to your imaginations.

We are now faced with whether we want to continue subsidizing a broken system rife with greed and profit or a socialized system rife with mandates, greed and profit. We already pay for the poor, disenfranchised, elderly, veterans, government workers, children, and on and on. Why not make Guaranteed Issue, price controlled insurance available to the rest of us stuck in the middle who are willing to pay group prices, but are excluded because we don't work for the government and we are independent businessmen with pre-existing conditions? I'll pay $500 a month for a $1000 deductible 80/20 PPO, but I can't. I am diabetic and because I don't belong to a group, uninsurable, except in the state pool, which is a joke.

Its too late and the pendulum has swung. Healthcare for more that the poor and the elderly will become a requirement, not a right. Do I totally and idealistically buy into the premise? No, but...the genie is out of the bottle, and we need to find ways to influence the outcome so it is just not another entitlement program that is not sustainable.

BTW. I really dislike Hillary.:goofy:

Last edited:
I know ;)

The whole thing reminds me of a Jethro Tull song, Locomotive Breath.

Its a runaway train.

Health insurance is a privledge, but its being promoted as a right. Isn't it funny how our "rights" in so many areas eventually become laws that are enforced ultimately, at the point of a gun. I know that's a twisted analogy, but it is evident, that we have so many more "rights" now, than we did when I was a child, that result in punitive action if not "enjoyed".

Health care is a choice, not a right. Current mandates make me pay (via taxes, insurance, and increased medical bills) for those who don't, via unpaid emergency room, hospital and doctor visits. Given that those uneven healthcare "grants" won't go away, government should enable a more sensible system by requiring all citizens buy basic (HDHP or better) coverage, with subsidies for those who can't, penalties for those who refuse.

"Romneycare" has some basic principles which states should consider seriously. Dems took over Massachusetts "Romneycare" after Romney left office, so it's unfair to blame him for the costly tweaks which Dems added later. Romney himself has opposed suggestions that other states duplicate the Massachusetts model, but says they should make it fit each state's needs.

McCain's plan makes a lot of sense. Mitt could make it great. My choice is clear.

The Mass system and Maine's Dirigo are similar in that they cost tens of millions each and cover paltry few, 13,000 in Maine on Dirigo and 18,000 in Mass if you don't count the expanded Medicaid and government plans.

Massachusetts & Maine methods appear to be working for them:
Texas Still Leads Nation In Rate Of Uninsured Residents
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]However, looking at 2007 by itself, the percentage of uninsured in the country fell from 15.8 percent in 2006 to 15.3 percent in 2007. [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]...[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]But the numbers are misleading, said John Goodman, ... who helped craft Sen. John McCain's health care policy, ... anyone with access to an emergency room effectively has insurance, albeit the government acts as the payer of last resort. ...[/FONT][FONT=tahoma,helvetica] Instead, the bureau should categorize people according to the likely source of payment .[/FONT][FONT=tahoma,helvetica]...[/FONT]

[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]Nationally, the overall number without insurance fell to 45.7 million last year, from 47 million in 2006.[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]...[/FONT][FONT=tahoma,helvetica]Uninsured rates by states[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]HIGHEST percent. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [FONT=tahoma,helvetica]LOWEST percent[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]1. Texas -- 24.8 % . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1. Massachusetts -- 7.9 %[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]2. New Mexico -- 22.7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2. Hawaii -- 8.2 [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]3. Florida -- 20.7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3. Minnesota -- 8.8 [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]4. Louisiana -- 20.2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4. Maine -- 9.1 [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma,helvetica]5. Mississippi -- 19.8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5. Connecticut -- 9.4 [/FONT]
Texas Still Leads Nation In Rate Of Uninsured Residents - 8/27/2008 - insurancenewsnet.com

Mass., Minn. & Maine methods meshed with Mitt & McCain could save Medicare & Medicaid :yes:

Last edited:
Massachusetts & Maine methods appear to be working for them:

Mass., Minn. & Maine methods meshed with Mitt & McCain could save Medicare & Medicaid

Ok, great. Let's move to Massachusetts or Connecticut. Do you have any idea what the tax burden is there?

We should be willing to fork over more revenue to governments - why? Due to their track record of being fiscally responsible?

Back