Is it illegal for licensed insurance agents to process cancer screening test?

I'd think that a blood test would be a lot more thorough(and more expensive) than a spit test.

So, in addition to Baptisms and swabbings, are agents going to be drawing blood next? :twitchy:

Well, It seems like pharmacists are taking over flu shot administration.

Maybe blood draws are an emerging market segment for insurance agents.

Posts like this are one of the things I appreciate about you. And, you know ..., I don't.

As you know, I probably should be more careful than I am about making posts along the line of critical of others. That is the reason I made some question posts before I just "unloaded".

Frankly I suspect that a lot of this "swabbing activity" can and will be made to be technically legal. I see it as more of an ethical assault on the Medicare system by individuals out for financial gain who are using the emotional fear of cancer in the US today to drive a requested genetic test volume into the Medicare system that is 2-3 times what it would be if Medicare beneficiaries were just able to listen to common sense advice from the "family doc". Those payments then affect the Medicare funds availability for other beneficiaries such as myself, and indirectly affect funds availability for Medicare management to consider requesting expansion of other testing programs, such as the blood testing The Monkey was talking about being unable to obtain through the system.

I am not suggesting that she should do anything. What I would find amusing if I was not so emotionally involved with the issue, and what I find annoying because I am so emotionally involved with it; is that the folks who are going to do the "swabbing" are also turning the "emotional appeal" to the observing public, saying we are helping to fight and prevent cancer in the country today----When they ("the swabbers") have had absolutely no concern about the detection and/or prevention of any kind of cancer until it pops up they can suddenly generate a stream of cash flow from "the industry".

It's a matter of credibility. You have "street credibility" with the entire forum in regard to commenting on cancer. I think most of the others who have posted in these (the 2 swabbing threads) threads about "fighting cancer" have a disconnect in their lives between a real interest in helping others detect and prevent cancer and making money from "a fear of getting cancer".

Another thing that I discovered yesterday. I saw a Mayo clinic article in relation to BRCA gene testing that said most of those tests are done as blood tests, but that some might be done from saliva samples. That raises a question in my mind as to whether there is a difference in the quality of test results from blood samples vs saliva for information relating to cancer issues. A question which most amatuer swabbers are probably not equipped to answer.
I see nothing wrong with asking someone to justify their position or to explain their reasoning about an issue. But it is stretching things to attribute motives to them when we have no real knowledge about them.

And, it is really ridiculous the way myinsurancebiz is attacking Amber when she is holding to the position he held when this started. Yes, he has changed his mind now but in the beginning he was totally bull headed and beyond being reasonable. For him to attack Amber the way he has is not called for in MHO...

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with asking someone to justify their position or to explain their reasoning about an issue. But it is stretching things to attribute motives to them when we have no real knowledge about them.

I guess I would have to accept that as a fair statement. Thanks for your efforts to bring balance to things.

And, it is really ridiculous the way myinsurancebiz is attacking Amber when she is holding to the position he held when this started. Yes, he has changed his mind now but in the beginning he was totally bull headed and beyond being reasonable. For him to attack Amber the way he has is not called for in MHO...
So, what else is new? :laugh:

You getting old . . . Better make sure your meds are up to date . . . Attack? Bahahaha!

I had no position - just stated earlier that it isn't a "scam" and it's not a scam.

It could violate anti-kickback laws however - which is my beef with the concept.

He also was recently on a conference call regarding this and pretty soon a lot of people are going to be in BIG TROUBLE, is what the man told me!

Oh, something I forgot to mention Monday evening. My contact said some Medicare beneficiaries are now starting to receive bills for these "free" screenings.

So much for these scammers who were telling agents their companies have been doing this without issues for the past couple of years.

He also was recently on a conference call regarding this and pretty soon a lot of people are going to be in BIG TROUBLE, is what the man told me!

Oh, something I forgot to mention Monday evening. My contact said some Medicare beneficiaries are now starting to receive bills for these "free" screenings.

So much for these scammers who were telling agents their companies have been doing this without issues for the past couple of years.
Past couple of years? Really? Medicare only started approving the DNA Hereditary Medically Cancer Screenings March 2018.

Latest posts

Back