Is it illegal for licensed insurance agents to process cancer screening test?

I have never seen that on a Medigap app, but I believe SOME life insurance carriers are asking about genetic testing as part of their underwriting review.

I don't believe genetic testing would show on an MIB report unless (maybe) it was used to deny or rate an app
The GINA law prohibits Life & Health companies from obtaining DNA testing in order to deny, rate or adjust premiums on an individual. It is considered "personal property".

It is NOT illegal for Insurance Agents to offer the genetic screening. They are not contracted with Medicare nor the laboratory & doctor's who are authorizing the test. If an agent or anyone else is submitting test under false pre-tense and not properly validating chief complaints, medications, family history etc.... then that's were the legality comes in as well as ethical breach and medicare fraud. Again DNA SCREENING is NOT a fraud or a scam as one of the big insurance companies released a few days ago. It's the "Cowboys" who are running around shoving swabs into peoples mouths without any regard to HIPAA, background checks, professionalism and the use of Proper Guidelines, in order to make a quick buck. I have seen a lot of trashing of Medicare Gurus and Life Insurance Gurus on here and some of the stories are horrific. It doesn't mean that ANYONE who sells FE or Life insurance is a scam artist. Just sayin..

It is NOT illegal for Insurance Agents to offer the genetic screening. They are not contracted with Medicare nor the laboratory & doctor's who are authorizing the test. If an agent or anyone else is submitting test under false pre-tense and not properly validating chief complaints, medications, family history etc.... then that's were the legality comes in as well as ethical breach and medicare fraud. Again DNA SCREENING is NOT a fraud or a scam as one of the big insurance companies released a few days ago. It's the "Cowboys" who are running around shoving swabs into peoples mouths without any regard to HIPAA, background checks, professionalism and the use of Proper Guidelines, in order to make a quick buck. I have seen a lot of trashing of Medicare Gurus and Life Insurance Gurus on here and some of the stories are horrific. It doesn't mean that ANYONE who sells FE or Life insurance is a scam artist. Just sayin..

As P.T. Barnum was attributed as saying..... There's a sucker born every minute!
Yes, DNA testing is not a problem when it is properly requested by the Medicare Recipient's personal physician using medically documented reasons for the test. The problem comes into play when an agent or someone else gets paid a kickback for referring the person. I don't believe anyone here has called someone who sells FE or Life Ins is a scam artist. Another P.T. Barnum quote was: The desire for wealth is nearly universal, and none can say it is not laudable, provided the possessor of it accepts its responsibilities and uses it as a friend to humanity.

It is NOT illegal for Insurance Agents to offer the genetic screening. They are not contracted with Medicare nor the laboratory & doctor's who are authorizing the test. If an agent or anyone else is submitting test under false pre-tense and not properly validating chief complaints, medications, family history etc.... then that's were the legality comes in as well as ethical breach and medicare fraud.

Let us know how the food and other luxuries are in CMS Jail. It's a real fear.

What is genetic discrimination?
The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008

GINA and other laws do not protect people from genetic discrimination in every circumstance. For example, GINA does not apply when an employer has fewer than 15 employees. It does not cover people in the U.S. military or those receiving health benefits through the Veterans Health Administration or Indian Health Service. GINA also does not protect against genetic discrimination in forms of insurance other than health insurance, such as life, disability, or long-term care insurance.

The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008

GINER and other laws do not protect people from genetic discrimination in every circumstance. For example, GINER does not apply when an employer has fewer than 15 employees. It does not cover people in the U.S. military or those receiving health benefits through the Veterans Health Administration or Indian Health Service. GINER also does not protect against genetic discrimination in forms of insurance other than health insurance, such as life, disability, or long-term care insurance.

It gets very confusing. :wacko:

Look - I checked in to this and was advised by my Attorney to run away - fast. The glass ceiling will crash - just when, is the answer.

I've tried almost every way known to man to make money. I've had 2 dozen concepts laughed about on this very forum. So - if I am running - then may want to also.

I even bought the web URL's:

www.DNAScreenTest.com

and

www.DNAScreenTests.com

Thinking I was going all in. Well - now, they are up for sale if anyone wants them.

Not a problem, when it's done correctly and referred by the Medicare beneficiaries personal physician who has determined that the test would be beneficial. But when a bunch of agents or other people gather the swabs from random regular Medicare beneficiaries and submit them to a Teledoc who has no relationship with the patient and the agent receives payment for that referral it becomes Medicare Fraud!

The swabs aren't random, the prospect has to have 3 different people in their family who's had different type of cancer (sister, brother, cousin), (prostate, ovarian, lung). The results can be delivered to their doctor or for those that don't have a doctor then the teledoc is used. ONLY if the test is valid the agent will get paid, if not there is no payment. So not all Medicare beneficiaries qualify.

Back