Is It October 15th or Not?

I attended a product roll out of a new Medicare Advantage and the fist thing the guy makes sure we know is that we can sell a policy before October 15. I've taken my AHIP a couple of times and it's pretty clear that you're not supposed to. How he says we get around that is to start selling October 1 and let the client date the app whatever current date, and the agent sign it, don't date it, and have to client mail it in. That way the agent never "takes possession" of the app. I think there are a lot of holes in this but then this is only my second year selling MAPDs. What's you guys take? Ethical or unethical or who cares?

Technically it's legal. Wouldn't want to put my commissions on it though. It's suppose to be marketing only and no apps taken till the 15 but the client can sign the app and send it in on their decision And the company will process it on the 15. Now if it gets back to cms that you had every intent on this going into the house then good luck

Its a gray line and I would not cross it, why put your license on the line for a 2 week jump?

So, you took the AHIP and don't understand the material, that is what I'm getting.
The guy is not telling you to do anything wrong. There is NO grey area here.

----------

Technically it's legal. Wouldn't want to put my commissions on it though. It's suppose to be marketing only and no apps taken till the 15 but the client can sign the app and send it in on their decision And the company will process it on the 15. Now if it gets back to cms that you had every intent on this going into the house then good luck

The app is not "taken". You can't deny the beneficiary the right to do what is spelled out in the regs. If they need to apply outside the AEP, like some of my snowbirds, they have that right. No negative. Like someone 200 miles away wanting to enroll, if they "request" an enrollment form, you can't require a f2f or anything other than put that in the mail. Put your agent info on the app, don't sign, date or anything, you get paid. Perfectly inside the lines of the rules.

If its that far away why boy just send it out to recieve it back by the 15 that's not grey at all. This guy is asking because the guy said start going into house on the 1 have them fill out the app both sign it and have them mail it in

Its a gray line and I would not cross it, why put your license on the line for a 2 week jump?

You put your license on the line if a beneficiary/secret shopper ask to enroll and you deny them the right. You have to advise them of the way to do it legally. You can help fill out the form, you can disclose your agent information. You DO NOT sign the app nor put a date "the agent received the application", because you DID NOT RECEIVE the application. Leave it with them, advise them to mail it ASAP, and tell them the plan will submit it on the 15th.

----------

If its that far away why boy just send it out to recieve it back by the 15 that's not grey at all. This guy is asking because the guy said start going into house on the 1 have them fill out the app both sign it and have them mail it in

It will be a violation to have them mail it back. You can't mail anything anywhere in time to get it back and submit in on time. I bet he is mistaken on the "agent sign" instructions. If not, DO NOT SIGN the app. Just input your agent name, id, etc. No dates other than the client's signature date.

I attended a product roll out of a new Medicare Advantage and the fist thing the guy makes sure we know is that we can sell a policy before October 15. I've taken my AHIP a couple of times and it's pretty clear that you're not supposed to. How he says we get around that is to start selling October 1 and let the client date the app whatever current date, and the agent sign it, don't date it, and have to client mail it in. That way the agent never "takes possession" of the app. I think there are a lot of holes in this but then this is only my second year selling MAPDs. What's you guys take? Ethical or unethical or who cares?

The way I understand it if the client mails an application to the carrier before 10/15/13 they have to accept it and yes you will get paid however it's a violation if you encourage them to do it or if you helped them fill out the application other than putting your name,agent ID,election code and I believe the proposed effective date.

For those clients that want to get a head start I give them an application and a self addressed envelope and tell them sign , date and mail to me after the 15th

There's no gray line here. If a client wants to do an app you let them know you are not allowed to send one in for them if they want to do it now. You hand them an app with your info already on there abd that's that. They have to fill it out. Not that hard. Most will wait tho

You cannot "help" them fill out the app before the 15th.

Back