Is It Ok to Phone Someone who Hit Me?

m_bambour

I was in an accident in whic a driver ran a stop sign and hit my harley with me on it. I had multiple injuries. 6 broken ribs, busted jaw, teeth knocked out, broken collar bone, my ankle and wrist broken, hip fracture. Was in the hospital for 9 weeks. Progressive insurance is the other parties insurance and they are being unreasonable. Offering me only $2,000 pain and suffering.
I'm afraid the person driving car is under insured but Progressive won't confirm or deny that.
Am I allowed to contact the person driving the car and ask him myself how much insurance he has? His phone number is on the police report?

I was in an accident in whic a driver ran a stop sign and hit my harley with me on it. I had multiple injuries. 6 broken ribs, busted jaw, teeth knocked out, broken collar bone, my ankle and wrist broken, hip fracture. Was in the hospital for 9 weeks. Progressive insurance is the other parties insurance and they are being unreasonable. Offering me only $2,000 pain and suffering.
I'm afraid the person driving car is under insured but Progressive won't confirm or deny that.
Am I allowed to contact the person driving the car and ask him myself how much insurance he has? His phone number is on the police report?

Tough luck!

I take it you're not a Hell's Angel.

$2k seems pretty low for something like that. I know of people who have been in much less severe wrecks who have received more than that.

Most insurers try to lowball you with the first offer. Never take the first offer from another persons insurer.

Im assuming they are covering all of the medical bills.
I would tell them to come up with something reasonable or they will be hearing from your attorney. I would guess that would probably cause them to at least double the offer. If not, then hire an attorney. Unfortunately that is sometimes the best course of action with stuff like this. The Attorney will know what is reasonable and what is not. Of course vet the attorney and make sure your not paying more than a 20% cut to them. Also tell them about the $2k offer and ask what type of settlements they have experienced in this type of situation.

Disclaimer: This advice is all from personal experience. I am not a P&C agent.

$2k seems pretty low for something like that. I know of people who have been in much less severe wrecks who have received more than that.

Most insurers try to lowball you with the first offer. Never take the first offer from another persons insurer.

Im assuming they are covering all of the medical bills.
I would tell them to come up with something reasonable or they will be hearing from your attorney. I would guess that would probably cause them to at least double the offer. If not, then hire an attorney. Unfortunately that is sometimes the best course of action with stuff like this. The Attorney will know what is reasonable and what is not. Of course vet the attorney and make sure your not paying more than a 20% cut to them. Also tell them about the $2k offer and ask what type of settlements they have experienced in this type of situation.

Disclaimer: This advice is all from personal experience. I am not a P&C agent.

Thanks but am I allowed to call the insured? Being as nice to him as he is to me?

Thanks but am I allowed to call the insured? Being as nice to him as he is to me?

I have no clue. It wont do any good either way, so what is the point?

Im pretty sure that his insurer is supposed to tell you the limits on his policy if you ask. But again, I am not a P&C agent (meaning I am not licensed in this line of insurance).

But I see no good coming from calling the guy... though I could see plenty going wrong.

Deal with the insurance company. The guy has no control over their offer anyway. If you dont like their offer then make a demand and negotiate from there.

If the guys policy has a low limit that is not sufficient then you can sue him in a court of law (assuming he has assets to attach to the suit).

Contacting the driver is probably a horrible idea though.

I would contact an attorney. Contacting the driver is not going to get you anywhere. His insurance company has made an offer. The other driver is not going to pay you out of his own pocket.

If you don't want to get an attorney, tell Progressive that you are not accepting the offer and push for more.

I would contact an attorney. Contacting the driver is not going to get you anywhere. His insurance company has made an offer. The other driver is not going to pay you out of his own pocket.

If you don't want to get an attorney, tell Progressive that you are not accepting the offer and push for more.
Progressive just called me. Offered me $3,600! Her and I went rounds. She asked what I wanted and I said $50,000. She laughed and said she'd note the file that I was unwilling to negotiate. What do you suspect will happen next? Do you think she will eventually call me back with a better offer?

Progressive just called me. Offered me $3,600! Her and I went rounds. She asked what I wanted and I said $50,000. She laughed and said she'd note the file that I was unwilling to negotiate. What do you suspect will happen next? Do you think she will eventually call me back with a better offer?

Something doesn't add up. You were in the hospital for 9 weeks??? And all they are offering is $3,600? Does that include lost income, medicals bills, etc?

I almost wonder if she is looking at the wrong case file. I'd call and ask her to make sure she is looking at the right one.

Again, this just doesn't add up. I would probably get an attorney as well.

Something doesn't add up. You were in the hospital for 9 weeks??? And all they are offering is $3,600? Does that include lost income, medicals bills, etc?

I almost wonder if she is looking at the wrong case file. I'd call and ask her to make sure she is looking at the right one.

Again, this just doesn't add up. I would probably get an attorney as well.
Yes she is willing to pay for all medical bills. Just offering me $3600 for pain and suffering.

Back