Is it possible to become an agent while in school?

studentagent

Looking into becoming an insurance agent, and found a pretty good company to start with. But i want to know is it possible to be a student and an agent. Also what type of companies are the best to start with? meaning big or small, a company like state farm, or a contract company.

Technically, it is possible. However, the problem is, if you work hard enough at it, you will be successful, and you will NOT finish school. I cannot begin to tell you how many agents got started in the summer of Junior year or something like that, and never looked back.

If school is important to you, then you don't want to get started now, because it can mess up your priorities and perspective. If that ending is OK with you, then give it a shot.

My first year in the insurance business I made over $50,000 (which aint bad for a college kid) and I quit school... Melmunch is true. I do not have any regrets though! Great business!

If you're lucky, you might find an indy that is looking for just a little extra help and would get a kick out of mentoring an eager learner. If you go with a captive career shop, which is where most of the major producers originate and most of the successful indies begin, they're going to want all your time. My company will not hire anyone without a Bachelors degree, except for older individuals with considerable work experience and I suspect that many of the household name companies would be the same. Your only bet is to find the indy that is willing to just let you put 10-20 hours in per week, but do your homework. Indy or captive, your training will likely make or break you.

My company will not hire anyone without a Bachelors degree, except for older individuals with considerable work experience and I suspect that many of the household name companies would be the same.

Aren't you with NYL? I was offered a position when I was starting out with NYL, Met, and NWM without a bachelor's degree.

My company will not hire anyone without a Bachelors degree, except for older individuals with considerable work experience and I suspect that many of the household name companies would be the same. quote]

Wow, I have never run across that requirement with any company I have licensed with or been approached by. (I basically work in the senior market as an independent.)

Most all of the companies I know of just want to know if you are still breathing. :D Maybe that is why I have been told that 80 +% of new agents never make it to their second year.

Aren't you with NYL? I was offered a position when I was starting out with NYL, Met, and NWM without a bachelor's degree.

My managing partner said he won't hire someone without a college degree. Maybe it's not a company-wide thing and it likely depends on age too. If you're talking someone that is 55, then we're looking at a time when it was less common for a person to attend college. Sales experience would probably go a long way too. However, I'm sure my office would not hire a 24 year-old with no college education or sales experience.

My managing partner said he won't hire someone without a college degree. Maybe it's not a company-wide thing and it likely depends on age too. If you're talking someone that is 55, then we're looking at a time when it was less common for a person to attend college. Sales experience would probably go a long way too. However, I'm sure my office would not hire a 24 year-old with no college education or sales experience.

Gee, I hope I'm not wasting my time in pre-license...... I have no college degree or sales experience. I've been in the medical field (radiology) for 16 years. Thoughts?

Back