Is it possible to become an agent while in school?

Mar 22, 2007

1. studentagent

studentagent New Member

Looking into becoming an insurance agent, and found a pretty good company to start with. But i want to know is it possible to be a student and an agent. Also what type of companies are the best to start with? meaning big or small, a company like state farm, or a contract company.

2. CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD Guru

State:
    Ohio
    I hate to be the harbinger of bad news...but, in my opinion. I wouldn't mix the two. Get your degree, and while you're in School, work in another capacity.

3. Sam

Sam Founder Administrator

Technically, it is possible. However, the problem is, if you work hard enough at it, you will be successful, and you will NOT finish school. I cannot begin to tell you how many agents got started in the summer of Junior year or something like that, and never looked back.

If school is important to you, then you don't want to get started now, because it can mess up your priorities and perspective. If that ending is OK with you, then give it a shot.

Sam, Mar 22, 2007
  4. salpro22

salpro22 Guru

State:
    Texas
    What state are you located in and what college/major are you pursuing?

salpro22, Mar 22, 2007
  5. joshril

joshril Guru

State:
    Oregon
    My first year in the insurance business I made over $50,000 (which aint bad for a college kid) and I quit school... Melmunch is true. I do not have any regrets though! Great business!

joshril, Mar 23, 2007
  6. NHB_MMA

NHB_MMA Guru

If you're lucky, you might find an indy that is looking for just a little extra help and would get a kick out of mentoring an eager learner. If you go with a captive career shop, which is where most of the major producers originate and most of the successful indies begin, they're going to want all your time. My company will not hire anyone without a Bachelors degree, except for older individuals with considerable work experience and I suspect that many of the household name companies would be the same. Your only bet is to find the indy that is willing to just let you put 10-20 hours in per week, but do your homework. Indy or captive, your training will likely make or break you.

NHB_MMA, Mar 24, 2007
  7. joshril

joshril Guru

State:
    Oregon
    Aren't you with NYL? I was offered a position when I was starting out with NYL, Met, and NWM without a bachelor's degree.

joshril, Mar 25, 2007
  8. Frank Stastny

Frank Stastny Guru

State:
    Florida

9. NHB_MMA

NHB_MMA Guru

My managing partner said he won't hire someone without a college degree. Maybe it's not a company-wide thing and it likely depends on age too. If you're talking someone that is 55, then we're looking at a time when it was less common for a person to attend college. Sales experience would probably go a long way too. However, I'm sure my office would not hire a 24 year-old with no college education or sales experience.

NHB_MMA, Mar 26, 2007
  10. Beth F

Beth F Expert

Gee, I hope I'm not wasting my time in pre-license...... I have no college degree or sales experience. I've been in the medical field (radiology) for 16 years. Thoughts?

Beth F, Mar 26, 2007