Is it possible to make a career without selling to your family and friends?

Bunny95

I just got my P and C license. I've interviewed with companies like Farmers and Allstate and State Farm. They were all small agencies, and the owners kept telling me that they expected me to refer my family and friends.

I've worked in call centers before, and 99% of calls are either answering machines or you get hung up on in the middle of your intro.

So when I asked what the job was like during my interviews, the owners also told me that they expected me to do a lot of cold calling.

If the success rate from cold calling is just as low as my call center rate, then where do my clients come from? Do I have to sell to all the people I know?

I've read extensively and many people say they regret selling to family and friends. Especially while being an inexperienced agent like me...they said they made a lot of mistakes and that their family and friends were really unhappy and it led to a lot of issues with claims and other things.

I know I'll have to hit quotas. Is it really possible to do that only with the leads the agencies provide?

They tell you to sell to family and friends in the beginning so you get your feet wet, make mistakes the family and friends will accept without losing faith in you, and finding how to pivot and sell additional products without pressure

F&F selling is a weak market. The people who know you are usually less willing to buy than dealing with a stranger.

The personal lines market is usually different and premium savings can generate sales.

Most agencies will not feed "free" leads until you have proven your ability to produce.

I could be wrong, but I think American Family Insurance provides leads.

F&F selling is a weak market. The people who know you are usually less willing to buy than dealing with a stranger.

The personal lines market is usually different and premium savings can generate sales.

Most agencies will not feed "free" leads until you have proven your ability to produce.

I could be wrong, but I think American Family Insurance provides leads.

All three insurance carriers that I mentioned said they provide leads and that I don't have to buy anything.

I asked them all if I'd have to buy leads, since I did read posts from people who said that buying leads was common.

All three insurance carriers that I mentioned said they provide leads and that I don't have to buy anything.

I asked them all if I'd have to buy leads, since I did read posts from people who said that buying leads was common.

Perhaps things have changed.

I interviewed a couple of SF agencies a few years ago and they pushed the F&F line and said no free leads.

Free leads usually come with strings attached.

Perhaps things have changed.

I interviewed a couple of SF agencies a few years ago and they pushed the F&F line and said no free leads.

Free leads usually come with strings attached.

What are the strings?

And yes, I asked all three if I had to spend my own money for leads or anything else and they said no.

The strings are your soul. Don't go there. I hav been on here in some capacity for 10 years. I have yet to see one agent say it springboarded their career. Literally none.

The strings are your soul. Don't go there. I hav been on here in some capacity for 10 years. I have yet to see one agent say it springboarded their career. Literally none.

I have read a lot of terrible stories from people. But...my p and c license is useless? I was thinking of testing to be an adjuster...

But if I avoid paying for anything or debt, is it possible for me to be okay? Or it's really just a lost cause situation?

What are the strings?

Quota (production requirements), particularly if you are on any kind of "subsidy", vs straight commission, no advance.

Limited product line. You can only sell plans and carrier(s) they allow.

If you "stumble" across a "big" case you may not be allowed to pursue it.

Required to assign commissions. Don't EVER do this.

Non-compete. Of course the forum lawyers will say a NC isn't enforceable but they fail to mention it will cost YOU money to defend a suit if they decide to go after you.

Agents don't just fall into a situation with no cost of entry, no production requirements, free leads and free coffee (which, as we all know, is for closers only).

You don't get a corner office with a view. No one will be standing outside your door with checkbook in hand.

To survive and prosper in this business you need to have a system where you have a USP . . . something beyond quoting a lower price.

You also need a steady stream of prospects who WANT to talk to you about their problems and have you help them find a solution that meets their needs and budget.

In other words, a dog with a note in his mouth could take the application.

This won't happen overnight but if you make this your goal, your business plan, and you stick with it, you will do well.

Latest posts

Back