Is It the Insurance Companies' Fault? Comedian Itemizes Bill..

My Apology Letter to the Insurance Companies

I began Googling to see what the actual retail was. Not at drug stores -- but from medical suppliers. You know, the places where hospitals shop. I took the cheapest exact match of the product they used, never went past the first few results and didn't even factor in buying in bulk. The hospital had charged me $1,358.15 for just over $100 worth of supplies. Now I was in emotional pain, too.

A 500 milliliter bottle of saline retails for $2.27. I was charged $99. A laceration tray retails for $3.14. I was charged $125. A disposable finger cuff retails for $6.51. I was charged $119. And so on. The markups on my bill would make even the most crooked mechanic sick. And then the hospital would probably charge him several thousand dollars for getting sick.

I spoke to two billing staff members and a supervisor. The first one threatened me with collections and the ruin of my credit if I didn't pay immediately. The second said "it costs what it costs." And the supervisor told me that there was absolutely no markup on supplies, and this is just what the hospital pays for them. She didn't appreciate when I told her that they were clearly getting ripped off, because only a crook would charge anyone that much for a bottle of saline.

It is illegal to open a hospital across the street from Sherman Oaks Hospital. Or even a few miles away. There are government regulations preventing hospitals from competing with each other. We do not have choices when it comes to hospitals, other than "bleed or pay." Which would be an excellent slogan for the Sherman Oaks Hospital. That, or "f--- you, pay me."

I really wish that more stuff like this would get passed around to get people thinking about the true cost of healthcare.

Of course there are a number of factors that go into why these items are marked up so much, but the reality is consumers aren't even thinking about this. Hell, my wife went to urgent care last night for a relatively minor issue and she came home to say "it was only $10". Of course she's long since tired of hearing my rants about the cost of healthcare and gets that it wasn't $10 worth of care. She actually looks at the premiums her company pays for coverage and even goes as far as to start preaching the gospel of "think about it" with respect to healthcare costs.

Health insurance is just how we finance healthcare, it's not how it's delivered and it doesn't really dictate the cost. The cost is dictated by the market and consumers vote with their dollars. Those dollars are financed by health insurance but somehow when people think their car payment is too high they realize they might have wanted a more economical vehicle, but when it comes to health insurance, it's just the insurance carriers ripping people off.

Back