Is It Worth It to Leave Messages?

I've been told that you get more call backs if you don't leave a message. I think I've even read people saying that on these forums. And from personal experience, I've gotten call backs from people when I've hung up on voicemail without leaving a message because I realized I dialed the wrong number. They call back to see who you are and why you're calling.

I haven't actually tracked response rate (largely because I don't do that much cold calling) but there does seem to be some logic to it.

It depends on the target market:

Senior market - they rarely return messages from cold calls.

Affluent market/mid-market: low return rate, not worth leaving messages so call back at varied times.

Business market - in my experience about half-the time. The message to be left is simply "I'm not sure if the work I do applies to you, if you could give me a brief call back I'm at xxx-xxx-xxxx, this is so-and-so."

Cold calling businesses with no "in" or prior contact: not worth leaving a message on an answering machine. Good chance that you got their machine because they didn't want to speak with another insurance agent and the receptionist/phone answerer was instructed to send you there.

since you're hand dialing, i'd probably leave a msg. nothing to lose except rushing to dial the next number to maybe hang up and dail another.
i've heard leaving an upbeat energized msg may have the best impact.

Everyone is addressing the lack of receiving calls backs if you leave a message. But, I have a question on the other side of the coin. Do you get a better response when you call them back due to the fact they have heard your name before even if they might not remember where they heard it?

That's what is recommended in Sobczak's Smart Calling. He suggest leaving a message and stating when you will be calling back. I plan to break future lists down into smaller sections so I can leave a future call back time on that list. Then a week down the road, I go back and recall the list. For the time being, I'm just working from a massive list and won't be calling back for awhile.

Everyone is addressing the lack of receiving calls backs if you leave a message. But, I have a question on the other side of the coin. Do you get a better response when you call them back due to the fact they have heard your name before even if they might not remember where they heard it?

ding, ding ding....we have a winner!!

This is exactly why you leave messages....because no one else does.

ding, ding ding....we have a winner!!

This is exactly why you leave messages....because no one else does.

Does that mean that because no one else is jumping off a cliff, you should do it?

Sometimes the reason why people aren't doing something is because it's a bad idea.

Back