Is It Worth It to Leave Messages?

Does that mean that because no one else is jumping off a cliff, you should do it?

Sometimes the reason why people aren't doing something is because it's a bad idea.

And sometimes the reason why they aren't doing something is because old dated methods are regurgitated and passed down to sheep.

If time management was not part of the equation, then sure, leave a message every time you have the opportunity to when you don't reach the decision maker. But is it better to invest the time leaving messages for prospects who won't or can't take your live call, or, keep on dialing until you get someone live on the phone? Unless you have an extremely compeling message that makes it irresistable for them to call you back when they are being bombarded by insurance agents, I would say no, and even then, I would have to be convinced after testing message versus no message. In my neck of the woods (Chicago area), even when I got the prospect on the line, they usually interject early in the conversation that they have had a lot of calls from agents that day, week, etc. My opinion for a true cold call is not worth the time lost leaving messages. Other opinions may vary.

Does that mean that because no one else is jumping off a cliff, you should do it?

Sometimes the reason why people aren't doing something is because it's a bad idea.

Sometimes, but you have to be smart enough to know when it is because sometimes it isn't. Voice mail sometimes works and can work better if you do it right. If your time is so precious and valuable and spending 10 seconds leaving a voice mail doesn't work for you then don't do it. If you have the time and need the business why not? Make it about what's in it for them and pique their curiosity so they WANT to call back.

ding, ding ding....we have a winner!!

This is exactly why you leave messages....because no one else does.

Geee! I am SO excited.. I never really expected to win.... I would like to thank my Momma, my fans, the academy, Mark's Mantises...........(exit to music playing):SLEEP:

yes...don't leave a message...hang up quickly...be like every other agent....don't distinguish yourself...be a sheep.

If your cold calling off a data list, and your list isn't refined and your just cold calling for insurance products, then yes it's an utter waste of time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That's what is recommended in Sobczak's Smart Calling. He suggest leaving a message and stating when you will be calling back. I plan to break future lists down into smaller sections so I can leave a future call back time on that list. Then a week down the road, I go back and recall the list. For the time being, I'm just working from a massive list and won't be calling back for awhile.

Remember, he prob didn't have cold calling for insurance products from a $99 list in mind when he wrote the book.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
since you're hand dialing, i'd probably leave a msg. nothing to lose except rushing to dial the next number to maybe hang up and dail another.
i've heard leaving an upbeat energized msg may have the best impact.

From reading your posts, I'm convinced you post nonsense so other agents will be unsuccessful with the methods you describe here and your complaints about internet leads.

Last edited:
Get an auto dialer that leaves a pre recorded message while dialing two other lines. If your time is too precious to leave a message then it is certainly too precious to dial by hand. Just my 02 cents but the right tools make your job much easier.

YouGotMyMoney, my data list was more than $99! But Yeah, I see what you're saying. Most of these cold calling books tend to be more geared towards bigger sales that take more time and energy to make. I don't really have any homework to do on my prospects or gatekeepers to warm up and siphon information from.

YouGotMyMoney, my data list was more than $99! But Yeah, I see what you're saying. Most of these cold calling books tend to be more geared towards bigger sales that take more time and energy to make. I don't really have any homework to do on my prospects or gatekeepers to warm up and siphon information from.

Exactly. You're not selling million dollar computer programs here or selling investments to high net worth prospects.

I like what your saying. Cold calling is a little bit easier when your calling on commercial clients rather than personal lines.

It depends on the target market:

Senior market - they rarely return messages from cold calls.

Affluent market/mid-market: low return rate, not worth leaving messages so call back at varied times.

Business market - in my experience about half-the time. The message to be left is simply "I'm not sure if the work I do applies to you, if you could give me a brief call back I'm at xxx-xxx-xxxx, this is so-and-so."

Back