Is it worth it?

Ins155

Expert
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My name is Joe and I'm located in New Jersey. I'm in the process of preparing for my Life & Health license and have been reading alot of the postings on this forum but I have to say, It doesn't seem too encouraging. I see alot of negative comments coming from you guys or girls regarding the business in general. I realize there will be ups and downs just like everything else in life but I must say I'm starting to wonder. Am I wrong? Do you enjoy this business? I'm retiring from law enforcement in under five years and am motivated in starting a new career. This seemed interesting to me and I believed there maybe some "real" income possibilities. Should I look elsewhere? Please give me some feedback. Thanks.

we are liked about as much as lawyers...prob why some of us are bitter....at any rate who are you going to work for NAA.....

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My name is Joe and I'm located in New Jersey. I'm in the process of preparing for my Life & Health license and have been reading alot of the postings on this forum but I have to say, It doesn't seem too encouraging. I see alot of negative comments coming from you guys or girls regarding the business in general. I realize there will be ups and downs just like everything else in life but I must say I'm starting to wonder. Am I wrong? Do you enjoy this business? I'm retiring from law enforcement in under five years and am motivated in starting a new career. This seemed interesting to me and I believed there maybe some "real" income possibilities. Should I look elsewhere? Please give me some feedback. Thanks.

There is BS in any job. I'm sure you put up with a lot more stuff in one protecting Jersey then the average agent does in a year. This field is a an excellent avenue to continue protecting people, but instead of having to deal with criminals, you get to deal with clients :)

Joking aside, although I don't have the experience that Sti, Somarco or Chumps has, it's a great field with a lot of flexibility. Have you checked out what the commission levels are for agents in NJ? I had a referral a while back become angry because a similar plan in PA would bring her down from the $1200 premium in Jersey to right around $350 and she didn't like my suggestion to find a job with benefits or move to PA or MD if it is that important. I'd love to know how agents get compensated in the GI states.

It's very much worth it.

As an insurance agent, you do nothing more than help people sleep at night. If, God forbid, something happened in the middle of the night, or over the weekend, how would they pay for it? Who would they see?

If people sleep better, they live a happier life. If they live a happier life, they spread more cheer to others. All because you took the time to help piece a puzzle together for them.

If you go chasing after money, you'll never get enough. If you try to help as many people as you can sleep better at night, you'll have no trouble earning what you want.

Keep one thing in mind, though. You can't be all things to all people. Don't even try. Those you do the most for, will do the least for you.

I will never break any sales records with any one company. Nor will I make the Millions of dollars in the three to six month Medicare Advantage selling period that others claim they do. But, I will have a loyal following; people who stay with me, year after year. People who provide me leads and referrals that stay with me year after year.

Knowing that tomorrow, or next week, when someone goes to the doctor, or gets a prescription refilled, or needs assistance, or whos parents needs assistance, they get what they need - that's what makes me happy.

The best thing I like about this business is that I can pick and choose who I want to work with. Mean people suck, and I don't waste my time with them. I refer them to someone else. I've even fired a client or two these past ten years, and I don't lose any sleep over it.

I set my own hours. I'm able to go to school events and concerts. I get to learn something new every day. I do what I want to do.

Yes, it's worth it.

The answer to your question, is it NAA. Yes, thats who I've been in contact with. I know none of you are fans of NAA so I will not start with the how good they are, only to be torn apart by experienced people such as yourselves. As I stated, I'm looking for a new career and I first association with this business is NAA. I really don't know if they are good or are not. I've not signed with anyone at this point. Thanks for the feedback.

Bob the insurance guy, Wow! thanks for that little pick me up. Helping people can be rewarding, Ive done that several times in my life and yes it is a great feeling. But, you're entire post was the pick me up I needed. I guess this really is no different than anything else in that, myself along with others I work with complain and complain but at the end of it all, we all say we wouldn't trade our career for anything. Thanks again.

The politics of New Jersey make the Individual Health market a complete joke. I hate to tell them GI does not work, since it is like arguing why the sky is blue...

I think going from law enforcement to Insurance is perfect - obviously you are thick skinned and no BS, or you would have never lasted - particularly in NJ of all places...

Plus you are retiring - which means you have a good pension, benefits, etc., etc., Rock on - go for it... I think you have a high probability of success.

Back