Is Money in an IRA Protected?

Jul 18, 2016

1. Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy Guru

State:
    Georgia
    I don't work with Dual Eligibles, so therefore, I never pay attention to, nor take the certification tests for, Medicaid eligibility.

That out of the way, I have a question.

Met a man today, who is on Medicare, and will be applying for Medicaid in short order. He has no income. He does have a Cash Value Life Insurance policy, I believe in the $50K amount arena, and he has an IRA.

He didn't share with me - or wouldn't - the amount that is in the IRA.

Question: Are IRA's protected from creditors? If so, is there a limit?

His concern is, if creditors call, can they realistically take money from his IRA? Or, should he consider that a veiled threat. Hasn't happened yet.

Just wonderin'.

P.S. He lives in an apartment, and owns his 2006 car. Does not have any passive nor active income.

2. yogooglethis

yogooglethis Guru

State:
    Florida

In Fl. and I believe most states are probably around the same amount any liquid assets including retirement accounts,CV life policies,savings,checking etc. count toward the 7500.00 maximum allowable assets to qualify for a medicare Savings program.

Not sure what creditors has to do with this but if he lies on MSP application about his assets he is committing fraud

3. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    This is a state specific question.

I know in California, the limit is just slightly above $1 million for creditor protection on qualified plans and IRAs. Almost none for life insurance cash values - just enough to keep the policy going.

This resource may help in regards to creditor protection in life insurance and non-qualified annuities and has some state-specific references:
    http://summitalliance.net/wp-conten...ction-Within-Annuities-and-Life-Insurance.pdf

DHK, Jul 18, 2016
  4. Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy Guru

State:
    Georgia
    Sorry.

Forgot to mention. This is for the State of Georgia.